Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How about a TCI interface

Options
Rob_K8YV
Rob_K8YV Member ✭✭

How about adding a TCI interface.

The stuff that supports it.

Rob K8YV

6 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

If only Rob. No more DAX problems, no more going through Windows audio stack. It is the one asset of ESDR2/3 that I miss since changing to Flex.

• LA9AKA Hans Chr.
    Options

That would be absolutely fantastic! TCI is great😍

73 Hans Christian LA9AAKA

• Rob_K8YV
    Rob_K8YV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

I would even do the software interface.

Been a while but it will come back. lol

• Goca
    Goca Member
    Options
    I'm mostly Sunsdr user and now Flex... Adding TCI protocol to SmartSDR would be awesome... They could forget about using DAX and CAT.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

The radio has an open API. Anyone willing to do the work is welcome to write a utility to talk to the radio’s API and serve up TCI formatted info.

There are quite a few developers writing their software to talk direct to the radio API. Flex engineering provides support to developers.

Any takers?

Dave wo2x

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Sooo... If I was TCI, what would I be? I tried looking it up and it is an acronym for a bunch of things, none of which looked radio-oriented.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Transceiver Control Interface

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Ah, I see. This is basically the Expert Electronics SUNSDR API. I guess I don't understand what it brings to the table that the Flex API doesn't have. I also don't get why you would replace a native API with that of another brand radio.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

TCI was designed by EE but is open source. GitHub - maksimus1210/TCI: Transceiver Control Interface

It is a transport system for audio, IQ, CAT. Unlike DAX it does not use the Windows audio stack. No matter what the capabilities of the computer and demands being put upon it by software, it operates smoothly. With an EE radio I never saw any glitch of (for example) FT8 TX and RX. There is no need to create CAT ports. Many logging software, digital mode software and other miscellaneous applications have a TCI interface.

It is the one asset of the EE ESDR2/3 SDR program that I missed after changing to Flex.

Unfortunately, the natural resistance to change or even investiture in time to properly research and verify these claims will probably deny Flex users of this resource.

However, to redress the balance: TCI is the only asset of ESDR2/3 that worthy of note. Also, with the latest versions of SmartSDR with its former DAX failings largely or even totally squashed, the difference in performance compared to TCI is I suspect minimal.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Erik

First, a thank you to Yuri and yourself for his work on SDC and your support of it. Fantastic!

That is a prime example of the advantages of writing to the Flex API and the flex lib library. It is openly available for developers to have their programs communicate to the radio. Marcus has done just that with SmartSDR for MAC and IOS.

I agree on the sound system performance improvements in 3.4.23. Annalise and the team have made very good improvements.

Until the YaeKenComs come around and support a new standard such as TCI, I believe the adoption of new standards will be minimal by application developers. Any developer can write a TCI middleware to the radio directly. Look at xDAX and xCAT from Mario as an example.

These are my personal views as a ham using the Flex ecosystem. For me it would be a minimal improvement to have TCI support built in as my radio, amp, tuner, and antenna switch all communicate via LAN which provides interlock control.

73 and pass along my regards to Yuri. I do not know if he is a member here.

Dave wo2x

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Hello Dave,

Yuri will undoubtedly read of your regards, but I will pass them on anyway. All thanks must go to Yuri, I have nothing to do with his fine work (conducted under exceptionally difficult circumstances as you will know) and I merely promote his work with SDC as a way of helping him get the word out and take some of the queries as he does not have the time to deal with a large quanity of them.

Other that, you pretty much mirror my comments and TCI would now make a minimal improvement. This was not the case when I first had my Flex in 2021. The loss of TCI and the substitution of it by flakey DAX was a shock to say the least. However, to their credit, Flex have found a way to overcome those issues.

As for the "Flex ecosystem": this leaves everything else in its wake. Totally awesome (in its literal sense). Just the vision behind it, especially considering that vision occurred many years ago, is worthy of the highest commendation.

Erik EI4KF / G0CGL

• Salvatore
    Salvatore Member
    Options
    Good day to all,
    i'm having problem with the SDC installation to be used with Flex-6400. Unfortunately once the software is installed , it shows at starting the error 'UNABLE TO START THE SERVER. NOT FOUND TCI CLIENT'
    the SDC version in use is the last one (v 17.090). I'll appreciate if someone can give me some tips on how to sort out this problem .
    thanks
    iC8SQS
  • Martin_G4ENZ
    Martin_G4ENZ Member ✭✭
    Options

You don't want TCI - you want SmartSDR API

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.