Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Losing communication between 6500 and PC

Options

Since installing v3.4.23 I have experienced the following :-

after each time of running the station after an unspecified time, but around 30 min yes or so, the receive audio starts to break up and the CW keying goes haywire then my 6500 and computer lose communication. After reactivating SSDR it continues ok until the next random time is happens again. This has happened every time that I have switched on to operate so far which has been 3 times. It never happened prior to 3.4.23

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mal G3PDH

Comments

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I haven't experienced this, but to me, it sounds like a LAN/WAN problem in SmartSDR communicating with the 6500. Mine is directly connected via CAT6 cable.

If you could give us more info about how the radio and computer are connected (over wifi, through a router?) it could help us help you.

Also, in the bottom right of the SmartSDR display, there are a set of bars which show the network status. If you hover over it with your mouse, you'll get info on latency and communication status. Pictures and/or a description of what you see there would help too.

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting! Not sure if even remote releated as I still run 2.4.10 (waiting for some CW-user reports for 2.9.1), but after letting the radio (6500) be left on over night, my computer fails to see the radio. Restarting SSDR will show no radio available and needs a long push on the on/off to shut down. Restart radio and all is well. Have also noted increased amount of odd behavour (stuttering) when sending CW. Recently I have the radio and computer on TP-cable (with ferrites) tied to a dedicated switch (which is then tied to the home LAN using optical fiber) but the problems persist.

Why would the discovery packets not be transmitted and why would the radio need a long push on the on/off? This is not how it used to behave. And I have been on 2.4.10 a long time. I may try to swap the computer for an old W7 just to see how things behave, as I do not trust W10 anymore.

• Mal G3PDH
    Mal G3PDH Member ✭✭
    Options

Don, thanks for your reply. Apologies for the slightly incoherent initial message but it was late last evening. I have done some extensive testing this morning. I reverted back to 3.4.21 and there was no problem, so I reloaded 3.4.23 again and have been using it for a few hours without any reoccurrence of the problem. I also remembered that last week I had an electricity power failure whist using the rig with the power going on/off rapidly so I suspect that caused some corruption of the rig software.

Anyway, all seems ok now so hopefully the problem is cured.

Mal G3PDH

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

that's great to hear, Mal!

It could have been corruption in the software/config files, but the symptoms (especially it working again for a while after you do a restart) more likely point to 'lost packets' on the network.

Anyway, good to hear that things are back to normal.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.