Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How can I connect my tuner genius xl antenna with another radio that is not from flex radio

Options
N4RAG
N4RAG Member ✭✭

Hello everyone, the question is how can I use my tuner genius xl antenna with another radio that is not a flex radio, because I have another sdr radio apart from the flex, specifically a SunSDR DX and I want to know how to connect it, thanks

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

If the SunSDR software allows CAT out of a USB to serial adapter, you can connect that to the CAT in on the TG XL. You’ll need to know the parameters for CAT out (Kenwood or Yaesu, parity, and baud rate). The TG XL supports Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom radios.

To tune, you would press the tune button on TG XL or TG XL app, then generate a steady carrier from the radio (25 watts recommended). Using CAT, you can “train” the tuner with 20 memories per band. As you change the frequency the tuner uses the closest tuning solution.

Dave wo2x

• N4RAG
    N4RAG Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks Dave for your prompt response I already ordered the cable

to do the test thanks again 73

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Ok. You can post here if you run into problems. The takeaway is to set the software for your radio to the com port created when you plug the cable in the PC. The cable should have an FTDI chipset so it will properly enumerate in Windows.

Make sure you have the type of CAT (Yaesu or Kenwood) and the baud rate and parity.

Check the tuner and ensure it has 1.1.16 version firmware. If not, update it.

73 Dave wo2x

• N4RAG
    N4RAG Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

David

It doesn't work I'm using a serial to usb cable

that have an FTDI chipset but nothing is there at the moment

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

What is eCat protocol? Contact the SunSDR developer and find out. I bet it is not Kenwood protocol.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Ok. Looks like eCat is Kenwood TS480 emulation.

uncheck antenna control.

Also upgrade Tuner Genius to firmware 1.1.16. Download the tuner Genius utility 1.1.16 and install it. First time you launch it you will be prompted to upgrade the tuner. 1.1.16 has several fixes for non-Flex CAT and CI-V.

Dave wo2x

• N4RAG
    N4RAG Member ✭✭
    Options

Dave wo2x

This is the cable that I am using but nothing I did what you indicated act everything

Gearmo 36 Inch FTDI USB to Serial Cable for MAC PC Linux, Win 11 with Tx/Rx LEDs

Connectivity: 3ft blue USB to RS-232 serial converter cable with transparent USB cover. It works by connecting the USB Type A port to the host computer, and then connecting the male RS-232 DB-9 end to the female serial port.

LED Indicators: LED activity indicators for Power, TX and RX serial signals. The LEDs allow a visual indication of signal activity as the TX and RX RS-232 signals are communicating.

FTDI Chipset Chipset inside: FT232RL and Ultra Fast 920K ZyWyn ZT232E for superior serial communication performance.

• N4RAG
    N4RAG Member ✭✭
    Options

This does not work

• N4RAG
    N4RAG Member ✭✭
    Options

Could you put photos of your configuration to see if I'm doing something wrong

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Under CAT port A you need to check the enable box and set it to Kenwood TS480 or TS2000. Baud rate needs to match the SunSDR.

• N4RAG
    N4RAG Member ✭✭
    Options

Could you put photos of your configuration to see if I'm doing something wrong

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

I do not have a non-Flex transceiver. I have used my tuner with a K4D via Kenwood CAT. Is there choices other than eCATv1? Try v2 if there is a choice.

Your parity is wrong in SunSDR. Should be none and not space. Tuner Genius is 8n1.

I cannot see if you unchecked antenna switch control.

Try setting both SunSDR and Tuner Genius to 4800 baud instead of 57600.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Also uncheck RTS in SunSDR. There should not be any handshaking.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.