Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

can i run cw skimmer remotely without running slicemaster?

running a flex 6400 remotely, so i can not run slice master

can i run CW skimmer alone for simple CW CQ

Answers

• Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭

Yes, you can just start skimmer and re-configure. However With skimmer Dax does not allow I/Q streams so looking at skimmer across 20 plus K doesn't work.

There is a work around with much less bandwidth of 3k but it gets the job done if you want to copy cw on receive. To setup 3k skimmer with smart link setup the following.

Create a serial port for cat on your flex. yours will probably be different, mine is port 4.

In Skimmer click view then settings. under radio select 3K.

Now select Cat choose smart SDR and then configure baud rate and port. Baud rate doesn't matter too much with Virtual serial port just don't go overboard.

Setup audio in skimmer I needed to use MME as WDM gives me an error. Make sure on the slice your using that Dax is set to one of the channels. I have Ch1 selected. also make sure no Dax I/Q is selected.

Start skimmer with reduced bandwidth. Obviously you can use a spotting program to get you to a preferred call sign spot but this way you can use a a very limited span and get the job done even with spots.

Hope that helps

Bob KC9RF

• GeorgeBecknelL
    GeorgeBecknelL Member ✭✭

Bob,

thanks

I set this up as suggested.

it is working but it shows DAX is off and it will not track the rig frequency if i change frequencies.

when SDR in CW mode the DAX button to turn on and off is not visible.

also can you send cw with cw skimmer or do you send it with CWX in SDR.

i got my novice license in the 70's and never pursued it.

i need to learn code again :)

thanks,

George B

W4SXZ

• Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭

George your screen shot shows Dax is working properly on channel 1 and it's streaming. Remember the I/Q channels are disabled in smart link and wont matter in the 3k narrow bandwidth setup.

The reason that program is not tracking is because the cat interface from skimmer is not setup yet. Go back into the settings for cat and select your com port 4. look back at my settings from the previous post select smart sdr then configure the port # and baud rate. once that is set the frequency should appear in skimmers upper right hand window.

For sending CW use the CWX or a logging program that has CW keying. Another option that I use is Chrome Remote Desktop with my computer at my site. I can use skimmer without having to have a narrow bandwidth. Then you can use K9DUR utilities and download morse keyer which works great.

Let me know how it works out.

Bob KC9RF

• GeorgeBecknelL
    GeorgeBecknelL Member ✭✭

HMMMM,

i use com4 for wsjtx ft8.

i have all that turned off when trying to run cw skimmer.

i probably better not change that port.

should i create a new port, maybe com5?

can you send me a screen shot of your com setupup in cat and dax?

or what you think i may need to set up a new port?

thanks,

George B

W4SXZ 73

• Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭

George if you are not using port 4 at the time for FT-8 it's ok to use it for Skimmer just don't run both at the same time. Otherwise just create another serial port your port 5 if open or what ever is available. Set Skimmer to the port you have created. I setup Port 5 on my other computer here is the screen shot below You should be good to go. Maybe a phone conversation could get this done quicker. My email is good on QRZ. Send me your cell #. I won't be avail by phone until mid afternoon on Monday.

Bob KC9RF

• Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭

That is very helpful, I was quickly able to set up Skimmer without Slice-Master, and Slice-Master has always been problematic for me.

Can you elaborate on why there is a 3K limitation on bandwidth?

Tim K9WX

• Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭

Hi Tim

The 3k bandwidth is limited when using smartlink and CW Skimmer as Dax doesn't pass Dax I/Q streams with smart link.

When setting up CW Skimmer the configuration uses Dax RX1- RX? that audio goes from which ever slice is being used to skimmer.

To work around this limitation I use Chrome remote desktop a free program. My desktop at home is setup for login from my laptop. By doing this I can run any digital program on my home computer. Of course running Smart SDR allows me to run CW skimmer full bore by using slicemaster or SDR Bridge

Bob KC9RF

• Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Bob KC9RF. I am not using Smartlink as I am not operating remotely. Everything is on this desktop: radio, SSDR and Skimmer. Is there a config I can implement so that I can achieve a larger bandwidth without using Slicemaster?

Tim K9WX

• Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭

Hi Tim

Been a few days since I checked the post. Anyway the answer is yes. Do the following:

Flex setup

Dax I/Q on which ever channel your using . My setup uses Ch 1 Dax I/Q. Check Dax to make sure Dax Channel is streaming and set value to 48000

Set up Cat serial port for which ever port is available in my case mine is Com 4

w pitch to 600 to match CW skimmers default.

Skimmer setup

Settings Select- Radio-Softrock IF - CW pitch 600 and Audio IF =0

Select Cat to which ever com port the flex is using. Mine is Com 4. Set rig type to either smart SDR or TS-2000

That should get you started. This does use less CPU resources on my old I5 computer using chrome remote desktop.

CPU resources with Slicemaster uses about 9% more with 1 slice so not bad. If I run two slices and two skimmers the I5 is very close to 100% CPU so using this computer with remote desktop with one slice works fine.

My New computer only uses about 10-12% of cpu with the same programs. but it is my offsite laptop.

Hope this helps

Bob KC9RF

• Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭

Thanks, Bob, I am getting closer. I have a large swath of bandwidth now.

But, I have an offset that shouldn't be there and I have been unable to track it down.

With SSDR tuned to 14.0475

and Skimmer tracking right along

DAX shows a frequency of 14.048892

and the signals I see in SSDR do not show up on the correct frequency in Skimmer. I am listening to W1AW on 14.0475, but it shows up in Skimmer down near 14.046.

Tim K9WX

• Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭

Tim

Try selecting the cw signal from Skimmer and see if it tracks. If not check Flex setting for Pitch & make sure that skimmer and flex have same cw pitch settings.

Bob

• Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭

I've done some more investigating. It seems that the IQ channel in DAX does not always track with the frequency of the radio.

For instance, I have one slice open to a 40m frequency and I QSY to 3.546 by typing the new frequency into the slice flag. SSDR, DAX IQ and Skimmer will all show the same frequency. I then tune up the band to 3.548 using my FlexControl; SSDR and Skimmer track with each other but the IQ channel in DAX stays at 3.546. See the screenshot below. Thus, the signals in Skimmer will be off frequency by 2 kHz, the amount of the offset between the radio's frequency and the DAX IQ frequency.

I'm using SSDR 2.8.1.

I get a similar result if I use a Maestro to tune up the band.

Sometimes DAX IQ will track and sometimes it doesn't but it almost always fails to track when I use the FlexControl or the Maestro, the most common ways I tune the radio. And it doesn't matter if Skimmer is open or not. I suspect this is something with SSDR that I either have set up incorrectly or perhaps a bug. I am going to post this to the community as a new question.

Tim K9WX

• Bob KC9RF
    Bob KC9RF Member ✭✭

Interesting Tim

I'm using version 3.4.21. good idea to post or use help desk and open a ticket.

Bob

• Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭

In a separate thread (https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/comment/20602218#Comment_20602218) Erik EI4KF notes: "IQ stream frequency in DAX should be the Panorama centre frequency, not the VFO frequency. It will remain static until you tune to the Panorama edge or you zoom in/out." And this appears to be the case.

So getting Skimmer to properly track as I tune is just a matter of technique.

Tim K9WX

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.