Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Do I upgrade SmartSDR for MAC after upgrading SmartSDR windows to 3.4.21?

Options
n0bf
n0bf Member ✭✭

Best Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

In short, No. I did not have to upgrade / update SSDR for Mac - just kept using the same version. The only time I had to change any of the Apple s/w products for Flex was in the switch from v2 to v3.

I should add that I did have some issues with xDax and xCat for Mac. Had to change the "Station" setting from my 6600M to the Mac SSDR, then back again to regain access to the 6600M GUI for digital apps. That was the only issue I had with the 3.4.21 update.

• n0bf
    n0bf Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks Ted. I also was able to continue using SSDR for Mac after updating to version 3.4.21 on SSDR for windows. I was able to work a CW station on my 6600 using both systems after the update.

Your explanation makes me wonder if an update to the 6600 requires a windows computer to make any firmware changes?

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Only if you plan to use SSDR for Windows.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

@n0bf - Yes, the radio itself requires Windows to do upgrades.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

According to the author of SSDR for Mac, it is capable of updating the software in the radio, and also updating TURF files.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When using SmartSDR for Mac, there is no requirement to use Windows to update firmware for a new version. SmartSDR for Mac will update its new Client version and give you the ability to update to the latest version of Flex radio firmware as well. In addition, you can use the latest SmartSDR for Mac and it will work for the latest version of Flex Radio firmware and any of the previous versions. An amazing accomplishment .

Answers

• n0bf
    n0bf Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for all the feedback. I will hang on to my Windows Surface Pro 8 for now. However, I prefer to use SSDR for Mac to operate both at home and remotely.

• n0bf
    n0bf Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Ted, I will try updating with SSDR for Mac next time!

• n0bf
    n0bf Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Dan. I will try using the SSDR for Mac for the next update/upgrade.