Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TGXL Cat via IP

Options
Hello, new TGXL user here. I read the manual , and went through the software but haven't been able to figure out how to send CAT data via IP from non-Flex radios (or software.) Am I missing something or do I actually need an rs-232 cable connected from my PC to the tuner? I have one setup and working, but would like to minimize the number of cables in the shack. With multiple radios working (IC-7300, Thetis, etc) and virtual comm ports to send CAT data to various other software. I would have thought that the TG Utility would have been able to retrieve CAT data from an internal virtual serial port on my PC and seamlessly send that over the ethernet connection.

I know there is an API so maybe I need a second piece of software to act as an intermediary and set the CAT data via IP, has anyone written something like that yet? Maybe this is on the firmware/utility development roadmap already, maybe I have a niche use case.

Any Insight greatly appreciated, Thanks!
-NB3A

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I have helped others who use a Flex on one port and non-Flex on second port.

For the Flex you select the Flex in the device setup for port A. Use LAN which handles the keying.

For the non-Flex radio, you will need cat or CI-V to the tuner along with RCA PTT.

This is how 4O3A designed the tuner. Also the LAN communications is one reason why Flex is preferred over other radios. Less rats nest!

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Oh and one more thing, you can have the tuner use RF Sense but it still needs RCA cable PTT from non-Flex radio and you would only have one tuning memory per band vs 20 per antenna per band when fed with CAT or CI-V.

Not the answer you want but that is how the tuner works.

Dave wo2x

• arodland
    arodland Member ✭✭
    Options

The way the TGXL works for getting frequency over Ethernet is that it connects to the Flex and monitors the slices for changes, so it's the radio's API doing all the work, not the TGXL's.

TGXL does have an API but it's basically limited to things that you could do with the knobs on the front: bypass on/off, auto/manual, start an auto-tune cycle, or adjust L/C1/C2 in manual mode (and not by setting them directly to a value, either; just commands to adjust them up/down by one step).

If there was a command to recall the tuning for a given frequency, then it would be possible to make that "intermediate" you're talking about, but to the best of my knowledge there's not. Might make a good feature request for a future firmware version.

• Jsttylr
    Jsttylr Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I understand now that the utility basically just points the TGXL to whichever Flexradio you have assigned via IP and it pulls data from it. Too bad It can't pull from the utility (via a virtual port or whatever.) I guess I'll get the full integrated experience whenever I actually buy a Flex!
  • kc1lko
    kc1lko Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I wanted to know as well. Thanks for asking this question. Unfortunate as this was to be the main reason I was switching from HFAuto to Tuner Genius. Anan/Thetis user here (and K4D as well). Expected modern architecture that does away with old fashioned DB9 / RS232 and even USB cables... :-(
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

You can eliminate the DB9 cables, or at least emulate them over IP but you still need RCA keying for non-Flex exciters.

Dave wo2x

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

With the new firmware and Flex radios, what is the recommended TX delay?

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Bill...

What I see recommended is 20...I set my 6600 to 25...so far no issues...

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I ran my 2nd station using the ANAN with Thetis, PGXL, TGXL and ANT Genius. and the device that is Lacking control is the ANAN and ALL other radio not having a good way other then the Antiquated Virtual CAT port.

I was able to do what I wanted running the ANAN Thetis with the 4O3A Genius equipment using a USB / RS-232 Cables and ran my AMP Keying PTT from the radio to the TGXL tuner then out of the Tuner to the PGXL Amp.

This would put everything on the Correct frequency and key it all in sequence and worked pretty darn good.

I use Node-Red for my station control so it allows me to remotely run the Tuner, Amp and Antenna switch from one WEB page.

Took a bit of thinking and work with help from WO2X to get this all working on Node-RED and ANAN Thetis.

• kc1lko
    kc1lko Member
    Options
    Thanks Dave, Bret and others for the input.

What has set my expectations is the implementation of TCI (Transceiver Control Interface). The Anan starts a server and the RFKit amp listens to it and as I change frequencies it sets its tuning, band, etc... Yes, the PTT is still hard wired Dave.

Hope this made sense in terms of what I want to do. Plug the Tuner Genius to the LAN and have it "follow" the Anan by listening to either UDP over TCPIP or TCI interface. https://github.com/maksimus1210/TCI

I did speak to someone at the Flex booth in hamcation about this, but of course, did not write down the name...

Thanks again folks :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.