Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex backup SD Card, do I upgrade it?

Options

I have a backup SD Card I purchased from Flex with version 3.3.29 installed by Flex. I have never installed it or used it in the radio. I am currently running 3.3.29 on my primary SD card. I plan to upgrade to 3.3.33 (skipping 3.3.32) and then down the road a bit to 3.4.21 or whatever the current 3.4 release is when I get there.

What is the recommended best practice from Flex, should I install my back up SD card and upgrade it after the primary card is updated, or should I keep version 3.3.29 around in case I need to use the backup card in the future.

Ted WR4T

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Ted, I wouldn't go to any intermediate levels. Just load 3.4.21. I also wouldn't wait unless you are operating remotely and need to be at the radio site to do the upgrade.

As far as upgrading the backup card, I think that is dealer's choice. My personal preference would be to keep the backup card up to date so that there is one less step to restoring the rig in the event of a card failure. On the other hand, card failures are not common, so the time spent keeping the backup updated is kind of wasted.

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The backup card is a means to recover if the original card fails. There should be no need to update it.

If the original card fails, install the new card, boot up the radio, verify the radio is working, THEN upgrade to the then current software version.

AL, K0VM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.