Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WTB a Used Maestro

I am searching for a used Maestro A or B model, in good condition at a fair price. Please advise if you think that you'll want to part with yours.

Thanks, Paul WA4AA

email: wa4aa@epbfi.com

Comments

• bbaker256
    bbaker256 Member ✭✭

I have a Model-A. Would that interest you? Bill WA9L

• Dan KB6NU
    Dan KB6NU Member ✭✭

I have a Maestro for sale. How can I tell if mine's a Model A or Model B?

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Model A do have the ON/OFF on top and model B do have it on the left side

• bbaker256
    bbaker256 Member ✭✭

It’s my understanding too that where the switch is located is the ONLY difference in the model A vs model B versions. IMHO, it’s a strange thing to create a model change over. It seems like a minor thing to me.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

Type B addresses internal battery charging issues found in Type A (per Flex service bulletin of 11/25/19).

In addition, a change in the model of the display used required a repositioning of the power switch (per discussion with Flex personnel).

• bbaker256
    bbaker256 Member ✭✭

Why was it necessary to change the display? My Model A display looks great.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF

Earlier Dell part became unavailable. Flex has devoted remaining stock to M models.

• bbaker256
    bbaker256 Member ✭✭

Wow!!! Good to know. There are lifetime limitations on repair parts! I had no idea. :-/

Thank you for helping me frame the issues. Are their any other critical parts that are limiting the life expectancy of FlexRadio equipment?

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Bill, ALL electronic equipment is subject to parts availability. Think how hard it would be to find an oil-filled capacitor to fix a radio from the 40's. I had to redesign my TeensyMaestro around a touch-control board that went unobtanium. It took a couple of months for the company to start selling a replacement part.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF

If you read the posted service bulletins, Flex can no longer guarantee it has parts to repair the 6300, the 6500 or the Maestros.

• bbaker256
    bbaker256 Member ✭✭

Good points. My Maestro Model A is in for repairs now. I hope they will have the parts to fix it.

It would be nice to redesign the Maestro’s front end around a standard backend computer and touch screen device. Maybe a RaspPi? :-)

If one breaks, for $30, you pop in a new one! :-)

• Neil D Friedman N3DF

I understand that the 8 inch screen is the key part they lack for replacement.

• Dan KB6NU
    Dan KB6NU Member ✭✭

Thanks for the info. Mine's a Model B.

• Paul, I plan to have my barely-used Maestro B for sale as soon as I get it back from the ham who borrowed it. I'll check back periodically to see if you still need one.

Dr. Larry S. Anderson, NN5O Tupelo, MS (birthplace of Elvis)

email: nn5olarry@gmail.com

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

If I remember correctly, model A uses a Dell Venue 8 tablet, and Flex had to do a redesign when Dell dropped this tablet from inventory. That is the reason for model B, and I understand it is similar reason for a new design. I managed to **** the display on my Maestro A, and had really hard time to source a new. I even bought a used Venue on flea-bay, and made sure it had exactly the same markings on the outside. But still had different h/w inside. Managed to find a display, but it had different plastic frame, so needed to do some serious "dremeling". Looks OK from the outside :) Lesson learned, swap battery early, when there is large swelling it is really really hard to open up the Dell Venue tablet.

Why wait for the new Maestro? Build the TeensyMaestro and use a small tablet for display.