Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WKFlex - CW remote with SmartSDR and Winkeyer

Options
13»

Comments

• AH0U
    AH0U Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried to download the app but says site no longer available is there another link ??

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just checked, it works:

WKFlex-V21.zip (dropbox.com)

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

I was able to download it as well. You have to login to dropbox to get it.

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Some notes about K3NG Arduino CW Keyer

The K3NG Arduino Keyer is fully supported and has been tested with good results. It has been reported, though, that when the CLI interface feature is active, the characters sent through the paddle are doubled.

The work around was disabling the CLI Interface.

The fix to the issue, as suggested by Tony, is changing the value for the following directive from 1 (default) to 0 in keyer_settings.h:

#define cli_paddle_echo_on_at_boot 0 // Default 1, set to 0 to disable the double character issue with WKFlex

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Tonight (8/24/2023) at 8:00 PM US Central time Kyle AA0Z will host a live streaming on his YouTube channel about configuring and using WKFlex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDVaOQlfUOU

• Goca
    Goca Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I use Microham micro2R interface with winkeyer and everything works as it should with N1MM, but through the DX log when pressing "F1 CQ" DXLOG freezes, the other macros work F5 for example, that is, only after pressing F1... Does anyone have a similar experience?

reagrds,

Gordan - E72X
  • N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Gordan,

Can you please explain a bit better what's happening? My understanding is you have a WKFlex installation with a Microham. Everything works fine with the paddle, and with N1MM.

Using DXLog instead of N1MM works sending any macro but F1.

Is that the right description of your scenario?

Please contact me directly: N5NHJ at yahoo.

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The streaming is available on AA0Z's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDVaOQlfUOU

• Goca
    Goca Member
    Options
    > @N5NHJ said:
    > Hi Gordan,
    > Can you please explain a bit better what's happening? My understanding is you have a WKFlex installation with a Microham. Everything works fine with the paddle, and with N1MM.
    > Using DXLog instead of N1MM works sending any macro but F1.
    > Is that the right description of your scenario?
    > Please contact me directly: N5NHJ at yahoo.

Hi,

I sent you an email.

thanks
  • N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I've got a request about enabling WKFlex to control the local Winkeyer in Vibrobug mode.

I found out that the Winkeyer is sending ASCII characters back to the serial line also in Vibrobug mode. Therefore, technically this feature can be added.

I'm a bit concerned, though, about the capability of the Winkeyer in interpreting the Vibrobug manipulation.

Also, what would be transmitted over the Flex will not have the original cadence the operator is using to manipulate the bug but will be a 'perfect' timed cadence.

I'm not sure if implementing this feature will be a god and useful addition.

Any thoughts?

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Goca Gordon, looks like DXLog is waiting for some protocol sequence or command to send back to keep transmitting.

In my configuration (Winkeyer, not Microham) I can just get the very first character going through. I have to investigate the handshake better; this will take a while.

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Yeah, I was playing with all this a year or so ago, and learned that the sending from your fist becomes ASCII-fied when using WKFlex and a pair of WinKeyers. Like you, I couldn't see how the VibroBug "drawl" could successfully be sent.

I landed on RemoteKeyerInterface, which sidesteps WinKeyers and ASCII-fication. It directly uses a Flex API to tell the radio "key-up" and "key-down"... at least, I think I understand this is how it works. The end result is what I expected: my unique "fist" is retained and goes out over-the-air.

These days, I have a WinKeyer, but the "key-out" line simply go into RemoteKeyerInterface. I avoid ASCII-fication, operate in VibroBug mode, and retain my "fist". Using just one WinKeyer at my location (wherever I am).

• howardsh3t
    howardsh3t Member ✭✭
    Options

Has anyone considered developing a version of WKFlex for use with smart SDR for the Mac OS? The keyer interface that is built into the Mac version of Smart SDR has never worked for me as the spacing and timing is way off in my installation. WKFlex on my Windows lap top works great with smart SDR.

Howard AE3T

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Howard. I'll investigate if the C# code can be somehow compiled to generate an executable for the Mac platform.

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, @howardsh3t

I did a bit of homework. Looks like there is an implementation of Winforms for Mono.

I'll check it out, but it will probably require some code modification.

Definitely not something that can be done overnight.

I'm sure you know about this already, temporary solutions are running Windows in a VM like virtualboxParallels, or VMWare Fusion.

73, Max

• Terry Erlacher
    Terry Erlacher Member ✭✭
    Options

Using the K45 Rev B firmware A4 , com ports and baud speed known, set up a CAT Winkeyer. How do I assign the process to WKFLEX . Had to use the debug to get the followng status, however not keying the Flex 6700 with loaded messages or a paddle. Thanks in advance for help

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Terry, I'm not familiar with the K45. I do not see any error message therefore I'm assuming the ports configuration is ok. Do you see any characters appearing in the WKFlex window while using the paddle?

Make sure you have the latest WKFlex release: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4skwz1pl63ff55/WKFlex-V21.zip?dl=0

• WP3C
    WP3C Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello Max

I sent you an email.

Alfredo WP3C

• WP3C
    WP3C Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello

I have a Winkeyer with version 2.2. Does it work with this version or do I have to update to version 3?

Can I also connect my Straight key or is it only for Iambic keys?

Alfredo WP3C

• N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Alfredo,

I replied in private already. WKFlex works only for paddles (Iambic and not Iambic).

It doesn't work for Straight Key and for bugs.

• Alex_DL1KDA
    Alex_DL1KDA Member, Unconfirmed
    Options
    Hello,

i am new here. I just Downloaded WKFlex and connected it with my K3NG Keyer by Serial Port. Also the Flex Connects well. But when i now Key any Sign (or a single Dash or Dot) it is doubled. The WKFlex shows it doubled. I tried many different setting without any change. Can someone help me ?

73 de Alex, DL1KDA
  • N5NHJ
    N5NHJ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Alex,

I just replied to your private e-mail. The solution to your problem is just few messages above. For your convenience I just copied it here:

Some notes about K3NG Arduino CW Keyer

The K3NG Arduino Keyer is fully supported and has been tested with good results. It has been reported, though, that when the CLI interface feature is active, the characters sent through the paddle are doubled.

The work around was disabling the CLI Interface.

The fix to the issue, as suggested by Tony, is changing the value for the following directive from 1 (default) to 0 in keyer_settings.h:

#define cli_paddle_echo_on_at_boot 0 // Default 1, set to 0 to disable the double character issue with WKFlex

• Alex_DL1KDA
    Alex_DL1KDA Member, Unconfirmed
    Options
    Thank you so much for this quick and helpful response and sorry not for following the rule „read first, then ask“ 😅

Vy 73s de Alex DL1KDA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.