Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lost connection to radio

I'm using a 6600 connected to an HP Envy laptop, and running APRISce-32.

Running SmartSDR latest version.

The setup works great but for one issue. After it has run for a couple hours, SSDR loses connection to the radio.

I can get it back by loading the profile for this mode.

Is there some timing issue on SSDR doing this?

Tagged:

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Michael, My guess is a network or RFI issues. Does it typically drop during or right after a transmission? Try low power into a dummy load. If that solves it, then you likely have RF getting into the network, computer or radio.

If it cannot be attributed to RFI, try a direct connection from the computer to the radio (might want to try a different ethernet cable). If this configuration still has the issue, I would submit a help desk ticket. If not, then either the cabling, router switch, etc is the likely culprit.

If it turns out to be RFI, mix 31 ferrite beads often work well. I put them on all network cabling, including power cables. RF can disrupt things on cabling or devices not related to your radio operation, so watch for that if the obvious RF paths don't pan out.

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭

Hi Len - Thanks much for the reply. I don't think it's RFI - I'm only doing a couple watts, and the radio behaves itself when I'm transmitting a Kilowatt.

I do have ferrites on all of the local cables as well. I remember some years ago, the Netgear routers had an issue on 40 meters, a little RF into them from the radio, and they'd reboot or just stop working.

The problem seems to be time related, working for some hours, then the connection to the radio is lost, and then can be restored.

• 73 Mike N3LI -
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Mike, I think that tends to point to the network. Can you do an experiment where you connect the computer directly to the radio (i.e. no switch or router)? If that clears the issue, then you likely have a problem with a piece of network gear or possibly a cable.

If that doesn't fix it, then it is probably time to submit a help desk ticket.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.