Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

2 Transmitters, one Antenna

Options

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a TGXL and had a question on a particular use-case that I have here in the shack..

I have one multi-band antenna, one Flex 6700 (with 2 transmitter outputs) and 2 amplifiers, a KPA500 solid state which I use 99% of the time, and a Alpha tube legal limit amp which I use very occasionally.

What I would like to do is configure the following:

Antenna

|

TGXL-OUTA

| |

TGXL-INA TGXL-INB

KPA500 ALPHA

6700-TXA 6700-TXB

Essentially, I would like to choose between the KPA500 and the Alpha just by selecting the TX A or TXB port on the 6700, and have either be able to transmit out the ANT-A jack of the TGXL.

For this to work, a transmitter going into the B port of the TGXL must be able to connect to an antenna on the A port.

I'd like to do this without having to purchase an additional $1000 Antenna Genious.

I can accomplish this today by using 2 different manual A/B coax switches, but I'm looking for a more elegant solution.

Thanks in advance,

W9PDS

Comments

• Patrick W9PDS
    Patrick W9PDS Member ✭✭
    Options

Sorry, my poor diagram did not come over in the text. Here is a pic that better illustrates what I'm attempting to do. Thanks

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

That won't work with the TGXL SO2R version since the inputs are dedicated to their respective outputs. Using your diagram TX-A to ANT-A and TX-B to ANT-B. The TGXL 1X3 version won't work since it has only one input. What you need to do is use a switch before or after the tuner. If placed before the tuner you can use the 1X3 version of the TGXL. The SO2R version of the TGXL can be made to work either way. I do something similar to what you are trying to do using an Array Solutions 2 Pak after the amps and before one of the inputs to my TGXL SO2R version.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have two radio's and I have played with this a lot and by far the best thing to do is to bite the bullet and purchase the Ant genious 2 X 8 or if your handy you can build a 2X6 port Antenna switch from http://kk1l.com/kk1l_2x6switch/

I built a couple of these and they work great if you build some kind of controller for them, BUT for me I run my station remote so needed a WEB controlled low power Relay board and I bought a "Control By WEB" X332 Web Power switch. This gave me plenty of relay contacts to run the Antenna switch plus a bunch of shack automation stuff.

I have somewhere a script for the X332 to have it so if one Input Antenna port is connected to an Antenna it turn off the other Radio Antenna to that port so that both Transmitters / Receivers can't be on the same Antenna at the same time, the same as does the Antenna Genius.

I no longer use this combonation but keep it available incase the Ant Genius gets trashed and I have to buy a new one and takes a while to arive

• Patrick W9PDS
    Patrick W9PDS Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks guys, I was afraid this was going to be the answer, but it appears that I do need to put in an automatic switch... I was going to do this anyway but I wanted to defer that cost for a while if I could,

73 and I appreciate the input,

W9PDS

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

The easiest way is the 4O3A 2x8 antenna switch as it integrates with the tuner and radio seamlessly, but is not a low cost solution. Once programmed, the radio TX Ant1 would use the KPA500 and the radio TX Ant2 would use the Alpha.

Any other automatic antenna switch solution will require some form of control integration to ensure you do not inadvertently transmit into an open load, and not be as seamless.

One other point, the 2x8 switch would allow you to expand past two antennas.

Dave wo2x

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options

I have the 4O3A 2X8 switch also and it works very well to switch multiple antennas to two amps/radios. Another solution that might be a bit cheaper but requires manual control would be to use a 4O3A Reversible Switch on both outputs of the TGXL SO2R version. Your multiband antenna could then be put on one antenna port with a dummy load on the other to protect against accidentally transmitting.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.