Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ALERT .... Loopback and Ventura 13.1 incompatible... ALERT

Options
K3SF
K3SF Member ✭✭✭

hi Flex and mac Buddies

FYI... Alert...

i received notice from Rogue Amoeba about Loopback not working properly with latest Ventura update to 13.1

Of course i got it too late ;-(

I can confirm this Loopback NO LONGER works on M1 macs with Ventura 13.1

BUT

Does still seem work on intel mac that run Ventura (my mac mini 2018 intel) with ventura and latest loopback seem to be fine..... so far...

....also xDax and xCat are still functional in Ventura on M1 macs as well as Intel mac

i confirmed this by having xdax send audio to macbookair speakers... no loopback involved

and

xcat with wsjtx will still send ptt command to flex

Paul K3SF

Comments

• KP4IP
    KP4IP Member ✭✭
    Options

I got the same pop-up message, but it still working for me at least capturing audio from DAX.

MacMini M1 + macOS 13.1

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

hi Frank

yes xDax does till capture audio from the flex radio but getting the audio from xdax to be used by other apps is another issue...that doesnt happen without loopback or other audio routing s/w

i have been emailing with rogue amoeba

and

they asked to see the microphone setup in the privacy setting...

i dont see loopback in either the intel macs or the m1 macs in the privacy setting

xdax does capture audio from the radio but any loopback attached to the xdax channel doesnt pass any audio thru the moment any app is connect to the loopback device...

for exampl...e simply starting up wsjtx configured to access the loopback device for xdax channel causes all audio on the loopback device to just stop...and freezes that loopback device in noop mode..until the wsjtx shuts down...

i have also been able to verify this by siimply connecting the macbook air speaker to the loopback device as a monitor.....add it and loopback goes dead, remove speaker and audio comes back thru the loopback device

there is a conflict in macos audiocore and loopback ACE plugin tha rogue amoeboa is working thru

What had me confused is my 2018 mac mini with intel cpu and with Ventura 13.1 and loopback...works fine

but

ALL my M1 macs ( macbook air and mac mini) dont work with ventura 13.1 and loopback 2.2.11(latest)

i think it also has rogue amoeba confused too ( my word .. not theirs)

in the mean time i have small computer server center in my basement with all my old mac minis ( 3) with older MacOs's...

i can remote into them and run all my hamradio apps with the flex 6600m. So i am still operational but with some reduce backup compute power

as i get info from Rogue Amoeba, i will try my best to keep everyone informed on how this ends up

Paul K3SF

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Been using built-in DAX on SmartSDR for MAC with latest Loopback and JTDX. Got pop up message but as you can see, it still works.

Dave wo2x

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave

what mac are you running. Is it intel cpu or apple silicon M1?

i have no problem on my intel mac mini but on m1 mini..that is where my problem exists.

macssdr integrated FT8 works fine

i have not tried connection to its dax for wsjtx....yet ;-)

BUT

when i connect to my 6600m...to use wsjtx on m1 macs...nogo

however

when i connect to my 6600m to use wsjtx with intel macs...woks just fine

i have sent debug files to rogue amoeba and waiting a response...

when i reviewed the debug, i see audiocore go mute when i startup wsjtx

and

resumes when i close wsjtx...that was one test

seen similar even when i connect to macbook speek instead of wsjtx...

saga continues ;-)

best overall solution is to have rogue amoeba fix loopback fro both intel and M1 macs...

so i am working with them as best i can

Paul K3SF

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I have a M1 MAC Mini that is about 3 months old and bought new. (2022 model?). Running 13.1 Ventura and latest SmartSDR for MAC, Loopback, and JTDX for MAC.

I am NOT using xDAX or xCAT, although I have them loaded. I am using DAX and CAT that are part of SmartSDR for MAC. I can take screenshots of settings if you like to see them.

I am thinking that it may be an incompatibility with WSJT-X? That is one thing different in your setup.

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options

update 19 december 2022

F Y I .....

i just received an alpha version from rogue amoeba...

and

ran some test here...with wsjtx and fldigi

directly from 6600m

i did not test with mac sssdr but don't expect any issues there

it works now properly on m1 mac...both my macbook air and minis ....

they will be releasing a 2.2.xx update when they are finished regression testing

Paul K3SF

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

UPDATE 20 Dec 2022

Rogie Ameoba has released an official update to loopback

Version 2.2.12

i have tested it with wsjtx and fldigi and xdax

works as it should

Paul K3SF

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank You. I will be ordering a license for this Loopback software. I am going to experiment with routing audio from a DAW (GarageBand) to DAX TX channel. I will be using DAW plugins to do audio compression, EQ and Limiting. I have a MOTU M2 USB Audio Interface that I plug my XLR mics into. My MacBook is 14 Pro with M1 processor running SmartSDR for MacOS. This is an experiment to improve audio quality for use in AM mode. Anyway, thanks for heads up in 2.2.12 update of Loopback SW. Dan WA1QZX

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dan

Take a look at "Audio Hijack", also from Rogue Amoeba.

You can use "plug-in" audio DAW devices within the app, and connect to internal and external devices, same as LoopBack. The app comes with a basic set of DAW devices, plus you can add other DAW devices from third party vendors.

I use AudioHijack to process my Flex Audio, using my Mac.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Wow! Thanks Alan! I shall check it out. Thank you! Dan WA1QZX