Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Starlink

Ok what did the upgrade do for starlink use?

can i connect remote now?

I can wish can't I.

No fiber until June next year so the CEO claims for our electric co.

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Some good news.

StarLink now supports public IP addresses.

Not so good news.....only on "Business Accounts" and the cost.

https://support.starlink.com/?topic=1192f3ef-2a17-31d9-261a-a59d215629f4

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Just checked out the Starlink business account:

"High-speed, low-latency broadband internet to remote and rural businesses across the globe. $635/mo with a one-time hardware cost of $3,170."

Long gone are the days when $10 a month extra gets you an IP address from your provider.

• Doug Wilson
    Doug Wilson Member ✭✭

I've upgraded to the new priority plan from the residential plan. For an extra $20 per month you can get prioritized service and a "public ip address". I can see an IPv4 and IPv6 address on whatsmyipaddress.com. The 6600M is connected to the Starlink network.

I tried "Automatic" Network Settings for SmartLink and am getting the red test dot. I don't think there is a way to port forward on the Starlink router but I probably could add a router and bypass the Starlink router but I don't really want to do that unless necessary.

On a separate network with SmartSDR I can see the radio on SmartLink but it will not connect.

Has anyone gotten SmartLink remote to work with the Starlink public ip address?

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Doug

You cannot forward port in the StarLink Router.

You need to use a third party router to set up port forwarding. Any brand will do, as long as you can configure port forwarding.

Plug the StarLink ethernet RJ45 into the third party router WAN port.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Doug Wilson
    Doug Wilson Member ✭✭

Thanks Alan,

Attached the third party router (WAN port) to the StarLink router. The radio and computer are attached to the third party router through a switch. The computer can see the internet but the radio cannot (which I don't understand). The third party router is using a 10.x.x.x IPV4 address.

I haven't put the StarLink router in bypass mode because it would disrupt the household but I guess that's what it's going to take due to "double nat"? I'll try that at a convenient time and report back.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes, you must put the StarLink in bypass, or just not use StarLink and plug the RJ45 into your third party router.

I assume you have the high-performance, commercial dish....so you should have an RJ45 cable in your kit.

Alan

• Doug Wilson
    Doug Wilson Member ✭✭

I do not have the high-performance commercial dish. I have the second generation rectangular dish that came with the residential stationary service. StarLink now offers a $140/month "Priority 40GB" plan that includes an option for a "public ip" address. I can see an IPV4 and IPV6 address on whatsmyipaddress.com. I didn't have to order any new hardware and already had the ethernet adapter. SmartLink did not work with this change alone and I assumed I needed a third party router for port forwarding.

SmartLink definitely didn't work without the StarLink router in bypass mode. The third party router had a 10.x.x.x local network address since I guess it saw it self as another device. I don't know. I was connected to the internet through the third party router to my computer through the same switch the radio, tuner and amp are on however the radio (6600M) showed no internet available for SmartLink. I could see the radio, tuner and amp in port forwarding on the third party router with the 10.x.x.x format.

I'll try it with the StarLink router in bypass mode and report back. I'm not a networking expert; just trying to get it to work with the dim light of the knowledge I have garnered.

• Doug Wilson
    Doug Wilson Member ✭✭

Hi,

Put the StarLink router in bypass mode and set up port forwarding (TCP 4994, UDP 4993) on the third party router and I am now online remote with SmartLink with the StarLink 40GP Priority plan upgrade and the StarLink ethernet adapter. Good news for StarLink Flex users.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

All good. Thanks for the update.

Alan. WA9WUD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.