Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

.NET API "Hello World?"

Options
2»

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Looks good Brian. I am glad that you got it all sorted out.

I am also a huge fan of the decimal data type. Years ago I coded in PL/I where it was called Fixed Decimal. You declare your variable to have as many total digits as you need, followed by the number of digits to the right of the decimal. So something like declare Freq fixed decimal (10,6). I have not yet played with the decimal type in C#, but I can sure see the benefits that it brings.

My preference when dealing with frequency is to just do everything in Hz (i.e. using one of the integer types) then scale and format it at display time.

• n8wrl
    n8wrl Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm with you, Len - past radio-libraries I've built were all Hz-based :) I chose to stick with MHz to stay as close to Flex's expectations as possible. Decimal is what you'd expect - an internally-managed fixed decimal format. You don't have to declare digits but it does have limits. They're huge and small so I don't even worry about them.

I dabbled in PL/I a very long time ago. My employer had S/38's running RPG converting to AS/400 and PL/I was an option. It would have required too much re-write so we stuck with RPG. Not sure that was the best choice...

Next step is to decide what I want the dials and buttons to do on my 2 FlexControls and wire them up. At slow tuning rates the flicker is not a big deal. Flex certainly does a better job "inside" of SmartSDR, but for the API->radio->client loop it's not too bad at all.

-Brian n8wrl

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Wow, haven't heard "System 38" spoken out loud for a very long time!

Flex did a really good job of distilling down the most useful knobs and buttons on the Maestro. I would take a peek at the Maestro panel layout to get ideas for prioritizing your own control functions.

With your approach, you can build single-button functionality for things that might take multiple clicks otherwise. Knobs or buttons can even change what they do depending on mode or other factors. The API gives you some serious creative license!

• n8wrl
    n8wrl Member ✭✭
    Options

Yeah - that's my thought too. Have to spend more time operating to figure out what those sequences would be! I'm a 30-year Yaesu guy who recently changed to Flex, and I definitely had workflows with the Yaesu's. Lots of CAT automation there too.

-Brian n8wrl

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.