Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Verizon 5G Home Internet PnP

DaveM
DaveM Member ✭✭

Anyone using Verizon 5G Home Internet for remote operation? I am interested in how well the PnP feature works since the modem/router uses virtual servers in lieu of port forwarding.

Dave

N4CQ

Comments

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭

I’ve been in the process of trying to use a 4G LTE router for home internet and remote operation. No luck. I’m my case and I think the case of many with cellular based internet, smartlink won’t work because you do not have a public ip. Zerotier is a vpn service that I have been told will work to reach you home network in this scenario

• DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭

Hi Flyham,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct in that their 4G (cell) service only supplies a private IP address which creates a CGN problem. The 5G Home Internet service supplies a public IP address since many people need a public IP for games and what have you. The 5G modem/router uses virtual servers in lieu of port forwarding, but it also has PnP. I am hoping the PnP feature is truly Plug and Play.

You might want to see if you can use the 5G service. Verizon will let you use their device at no cost for 30 days. In my case, the "system" said I could not get 5G service where my station is located, but the manager told me to give it a try. To my surprise, it worked, not blazing fast but good enough - 30-40 down, 12-14 up.

Dave

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭

Dave,

This is great to know. I hadn’t come across this info yet. My internet is through US cellular and they have a similar 30 trial period. I’ll be trying the 5G router soon as they are going to get one for me. Please let me know if you try it and what your experience is.

thanks,

flyham

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭

I tried the 5G cellular home internet router without success. Has anyone gotten a 5G router to work with smart link? Or with any other methods of remote connection?

• DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭

Flyham

I wanted to get back to you - I just finished setting up my new 6400 SDR and Smartlink. My Verizon 5G home router would not work on UPnP. I followed the directions on the setup screen and used the Virtual Server on the Verizon router. There are some details that need to be followed in setup but it worked.

Dave

N4CQ

• DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭

Check your computer connection to the internet and make sure that it is a public IP address

• DaveM
    DaveM Member ✭✭

Flyham

send me an email to my QRZ address and I will see if I can help you

Dave

N4CQ

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭

Dave,

email sent. Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.