Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Volume AGC

After going through the AGC-T(the knee), NR(min white noise), and pre-amp set ups then setting the audio level to a comfortable level for a QSO with a DX station that is only 1.5 to 3 s-units above the noise floor, a non DX station will join in and **** the speakers and your ears across the room. Kind of like the telvision commercals do on TV. It would be nice to have just a volume AGC if you will to control that. With the improved recievers in todays rigs more dynamic range translates into a wider volume dynamic range as well. I would hope that todays SDR radios like the Flex would be able to include software code to help with that.

Thanks for a great radio!

Rick...

8 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Rick, when that happens, you need to turn the AGC-T up a bit so that the AGC is acting on both the weak stations as well as the strong. This will also bring the noise up a corresponding amount.

When I am listening to a lot of strong stations, I often reduce my AGC-T to also remove more noise. A weak station cannot be heard as well under these circumstances.

If I am trying to dig out a weak one, I increase the AGC-T at the expense of more noise to try to get more signal. This is where the knee really comes into play. If you increase the AGC-T too much, you are just increasing noise. If you don't increase it enough, you are not amplifying the desired signal as much as you could.

• Rick_KJ5WO
    Rick_KJ5WO Member ✭✭

Thanks Len, I am constantly shifting the AGC-T around. But as Murphy would have it I always get a mix of strong and week signals. The local chat group on 6 has a mix of both.

I just wanted to get my wish into Santa before Christmas (Hi) and maybe one of the Flex programmers would have experianced the same thing and come up with a solution.

Thanks again

73's Rick...

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

My most wanted feature. Volume limiter for lack of a better name. dan WA1QZX

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Me too. When chasing POTA stations, the activator is usually pretty weak and the chasers really strong.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.