Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No way to clear radio nickname or callsign via API

Stu Phillips - K6TU
Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR API
There doesn't appear to be any way to clear either the radio nickname or the callsign via the direct API.

An attempt to send "radio name" returns the current name as does "radio name """...

Is there a way to clear the name/callsign that I haven't figured out?

Stu K6TU

Comments

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Looks like sending two backticks like:

radio name ''

will clear it.  If I send two single apostrophes like '' and set that as the "radio screensaver callsign" then it prints scrambled crud on the display.

Hope this helps!

Robbie - KI4TTZ
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited May 2020
    Nope :-)

Its sets the name to '' !!

It may clear the display but it sets the string back from the radio to ''.
    LoL!

Stu K6TU
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Oh whoops, I must be treating that as an escape character. heh.

Well, it was worth a shot. :)
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited March 2017
    N0CALL works for me.  Seriously though, why do you want to do this?
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    edited May 2020
    For consistency...  something about hobgoblins comes to mind...

It just seems weird that when the user clears a field in the UI, that the radio doesn't follow suit.

You can clear the field for either the name or the call in SmartSDR but a) the change isn't reflected in the radio and b) doesn't show correctly in the UI.

So is this a bug or a feature?  I can live with it either way...

Stu
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Maybe someone would want to loan their 6000 to a friend, and remove their callsign before doing so.  I can't imagine that situation though, you'd have to pry this radio from my cold dead hands. ;-) (sorry, friends, get yer own 6700!)

But yeah I just think from a software perspective, anything that can be "set" should have the ability to be "unset".
  • This thread is 8.5 years old. The situation persists. The closest I've found to removing a nickname is to use a .

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.