Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I use an Icom sm-50 mic on a 6500?

Glenn
Glenn Member
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I bought an Icom SM-50 microphone to use with the 7610 (that I had for two days and returned).  I already have a preferred mic for the Icom I did keep and do not need the SM-50.  

Looking over the mics and trying to figure out what to buy and use on a 6500 (that I haven't purchased yet but probably will) has been daunting.  If there is an easy way to adapt the SM-50 for use on a 6500 or 6600 that makes sense, I might want to go this route.  I added 6600 to the mix because if I can't find a 6500, that would be my second choice.

Other than that can someone suggest a mic for a 6500?  I'm not too interested in booms, shock cages, foot switches or suicide vest buttons.  I might want that in the future but right now I feel like I would just rather have a desk mic with a PTT that costs no more than the SM-50.

Thanks!

Answers

• Rick Ciotti W3DIY
    Rick Ciotti W3DIY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    A SM50 was connected to my 6500 and it worked perfectly. To interface the two a ready made adapter cable was purchased from an e bay vendor. A year later I upgraded to a 6600M, but the mic connection is not similar, the SM50/6500 adapter cable will not work. The power required to operate the SM50 amplifier must be sourced from the 6600 rear panel power connector. I ran a separate wire taped to the mic audio cable which works FB.

If a 6600 works for your budget go that route. There is a noticeable improvement in the receiver filtering, especially on 40M at my QTH. Rick W3DIY
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have a good friend who bought the SM-50 for his 7610. We talked over the air together several times and I was not very happy with the sound of the mic and neither was he. The problem was, the mic has way to much gain for that radio. He could only just **** open the mic gain on the mic. He contacted Icom and mentioned it to them,,they replied yes,, the mic has to be adjusted very very carefully. He then took the mic apart and bypassed the mic amp wiring directly to the radio mic input. What a difference it made, the freq response was much better and smoother, and he now has some adjustment on the 7610, no longer at the bottom.
  • Glenn
    Glenn Member
    edited December 2018
    I may have just sold it so it may be moot.  Thanks for the replies.

Glenn.
  • Bikermaninphx
    Bikermaninphx Member ✭✭
    I just purchased a 6400M and want to interface my SM50 desk mic to it. I get the PPT to work but not getting audio into it. Anyone done this and do you have pinouts?

Steve W7DJ
  • I have a SM50 operating with a 6600M. The mic requires 5-10V to power the amplifier, which can be sourced from the accessory connector on the rear panel of the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.