Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FHM1/2 hand mic alternatives?

VE7ATJ_Don
VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Hi guys... what are people using instead of the FHM1/2 hand mic? I have a boom headset already, but I need a hand/desk mike for those times when I have visitors into the shack, or I'm monitoring multiple radios.

Suggestions? (BTW, I don't need 'studio' quality audio :-) -- I do mostly contests and dx)

Comments

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Don:

This has been previously discussed several times. I have a 6600 radio and a 6500 radio, I use one of two mics on each radio. I switch a Heil pro set 7 between the radios (nets, contests and DXing). Also connected to to each radio I have boom set. The 6500 has an old Astatic DNHZ paging mic (Hi Z, 1950s vintage) . The 6600 has a Behringer 8500 low Z connected. The Behringer costs around $25 on Amazon or Sweetwater, I I think I paid $18 for it ten years ago. Both mics work well, set up the Tx equalizer to get the sound you want save the profile. The boom mics are connected to the Balanced inputs.

I do not have RF pick up with the mics but I keep a mix 31 split core on each mic cable just to be safe.

Gayle K0FLY

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Hi Gayle.. thanks. As I say, I have a boom headset already, but want the handset/desk mike for when guests are in the shack :-)

The Astatic and Behringer look OK as desk mikes. Thanks.

• Hey Don, I use both a studio boom microphone and headset mic to feed my 6400 and 991A, plus these same mics feeds my Mic input for the desktop computer and laptop computer. I do this with Mic mixers which makes it simple for me to change which mic is providing input and the level of mic audio going out to all of these devices. On the audio side, I also use a mixer that takes all the audio from the 2 radios and all computers and routes it to a small Fosi Audio amp that powers the 1 set of Polk speakers. For PTT I use a foot switch connected to a selector switch to select the 6400 or 991A while transmitting in the shack.

This may be overkill to what you are looking for but works well for me in my Ham Shack.

73 Randy

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Randy... what's the model # of the boom mic? As I say, I already have a headset w/boom.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.