Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can anyone provide guidance for using Slicemaster and Log4OM 2?

Options

I have the 6600, latest smartsdr on win 10 box hardwired to router. I'm using the flex control and pc headset. Frstack is running (only for having rx and tx on selected slice). I'm trying out slicemaster which is showing the slices correctly. However, I'm having trouble getting slicemaster and log4om 2 to communicate (no band or freq info passed to log40m).

Using the directions in the Log4OM 2 guide for connecting to Slicemaster, I find some discrepancies:

CAT/hamlib set up page - Guide lists rig model to select as 2036, 6xxx stable, program has FlexRadio 6xxx stable which seems reasonable.

TCP radio parameters are the same with address 127.0.0.1, port 7820.

Guide shows a parameter string entry of --model=2036 --rig-file=127.0.0.1:7820 -v, the picture in the guide is the same but no -v at the end. The program has two strings: generated which is the same string except for a -z at the end instead of -v and a Used parameter string which is user supplied. I've tried all three strings with the PTT both ways as described below.

The guide has the TCP Connection with the Connect to active HAMLIB instance not checked. Have tried it with this checked but not in all configs of parameter strings and PTT.

PTT in the guide, has a place to put the rig model and shows the CAT radio button checked. However, the program has a port designation and no rig model. I've tried it with no PTT checked and tried it with CAT checked/com 5 selected in the drop down which is what smart cat shows Slice A using.

I'm stumped and hoping that there's something obvious that I'm missing that the guide assumed I'd know........appreciate any guidance you folks can provide.

73, Jim

Answers

• Jim Osterling
    Options

Looks like I'm out of luck getting this to work.

Maybe a new question is in order. What logging programs can you suggest to try instead of log4om?

I'm reading up on logger 32 and swisslog so far.

Thanks,

Jim

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

Hi Jim... do you have SmartCAT running? I didn't see you mentioning that.

I have Log4OM running successfully on my 6500. I have no need for SliceMaster, so I use OmniRig (older version) to provide the interconnect between the Flex and Log4OM.

I can provide you with more details, if you like.

There's further info on this link https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/8026986/interfacing-log40m-without-slicemaster#latest

• Jim Osterling
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

Smart cat is running.

• Jim Osterling
    Options

Also, I'm trying out the logging program by N3FJP. So far, so good.

Would love to hear comments on that software.

Thanks,

Jim

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Jim, I like AClog from N3FJP for a couple of reasons. First, it is really easy to set up and use. Second, it integrates seamlessly with Flex 6000 radios. You can use either the API or CAT. I use the API to eliminate a CAT setup step. You just check a box to use the API.

I am not a big contester, but I like to jump in occasionally. N3FJP has a custom log for most contests. This makes it very easy to enter the required fields for the particular contest that I am participating in.

Once the contest is over, I import the contest log into my main log for ease of QSLing. I can then submit the contest log to the contest organizers.

N3FJP is not free, but it is very reasonably priced. I spent a little extra and got access to all logs. I bought it so long ago that I have forgotten how much I paid for it. I will say that I have more than gotten my money's worth from it!

• Jim Osterling
    Options

Thanks for your comments.

I also found it easy to set up and used the api method. I mainly work special event stations and interesting dx but I like the idea of the contest centric logs.

Jim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.