Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How many processes are normal?

Options

I run my Flex on a Windows 10 desktop computer with an I7 processor and 16gb of ram. I have no issues, but I am curious about the number and different processes that Windows Task Manager shows me. I currently have 129 background processes listed in Task Manager and 98 Windows processes. Is that typical? Is there a utility out there that might tell me how I might gain some efficiencies?

Thanks and 73,

Bob WK2Y

Best Answers

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I recommend GlassWire to visualize your network bandwidth and view programs using network.

https://www.glasswire.com/features/#bandwidth

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Bob, yep, that is typical. My i9 laptop shows numbers that are very close to yours. With SmartSDR, the bottleneck is typically not with the computer, but with the network. So unless you are on an old, slow computer (which you are not), you can rest easy that you don't need to spend time and energy trying to get more performance out of the computer.

With SmartSDR and CW Skimmer running, I am burning less than 30% of the available CPU resources.

With a second skimmer running on Slice B, the CPU utilization goes up to around 35% with peaks to 40%.

My old i5 laptop ran SmartSDR great, but started to choke on CW Skimmer. It worked, but occasionally paused Skimmer for a couple of seconds. A second instance of Skimmer was out of the question with that computer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.