Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Yaesu MD-100 Microphone match

Options
W4DLH
W4DLH Member
Is there a close match for the Yaesu MD-100 Mic in the EQ dropdown? Maybe one that I can use as starting point.

Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Frankly, I’m cautious using the profiles, since there are so many variables. Using the FDX feature to listen to yourself is one approach, but most people don’t know how they sound to others. Using off the air reports is problematic because of the variability of the radio/speakers/headset and expertise at the other end.

The audio produced by the microphone is affected by the distance between the mic and the person speaking. Determining thee EQ to use to get an overall flat frequency response is very challenging requiring carefully controlled conditions and equipment.

Also, the flex level meters are before the equalization, so any boost in EQ can result in overdriven audio even with the meters reading within limits.

I set the transmit EQ to flat, set the transmit bandwidth to approximately 300-3000 hz to concentrate the audio power in the range of maximum intelligibility.

If someone just has to adjust EQ, always cut before boost.

Just my 2 cents from years of audio production in the broadcasting world.

• W4DLH
    W4DLH Member
    Options
    Thanks John. Very helpful information. As you say there are so many variables. I think I'll get on the air with a friend and have them coach me on what sounds like me naturally and what is a good mix to get thru in a pileup. regards Dean W4DLH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.