Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No SSB RF output 6400M when using a laptop remote and usb headset

Options
Art Wilcox
Art Wilcox Member ✭✭
I am using a flex 6400M and trying to use SMART SDR on a windows 10 laptop connected wireless to my home network.
I just received a usb headset (MPOW) to use. I have the SMART SDR configuration on the laptop set to PC with DAX off. When  I press MOX on the laptop, I see a normal audio modulation pulse on the pc screen ( when I talk) and also see the audio modulation pulse on the  on the flex 6400M screen. I am not getting any transmitted ssb out of the flex 6400M  via a power meter reading.  I do get a reading when I use SSB the 6400m by itself.  I have receive audio working fine on the remote laptop.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 
P.S. I am a new FLEX USER...….
Art KB1YAP

Answers

• Harry Dudley
    Harry Dudley Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Have you checked the transmit settings? Make sure you have PTT set to work. What mic are you using? i had similar actions happening and found a setting turned off , when set properly it worked fine
  • Art Wilcox
    Art Wilcox Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm using a usb headset on my Windows 10 laptop. I click on mox and I get the audio signature on the bandscope on the laptop running smart sdr remote wireless connection on the same network. SSB mode 40m I see mox button light up on the front of my flex 6400M but no RF output on my power meter. If I run direct on the 6400M and the stock mic, I get RF out measurement on my external power Meter.
  • mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    You said you have DAX off.  Are you referring to TX DAX or RX DAX.  Make sure TX DAX is off otherwise your audio chain will not be enabled for the mic.  
  • Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    One common problem with Win10 is the media security settings. Check if your windows blocks microphone from beeing used for SSDR. We had this at least 4 times here in the area. 
    Otherwise be sure your mic is the primary audio source of the laptop/pc which will be used by SSDR.
    DAX is not needed and should not be on , as long as you don´t need it for anything else than mic input. One can route MIC thru DAX to the radio, but it´s not needed. 

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Step by Step.

First, make sure the PC microphone settings are OK.

Access your sound settings on the PC.  I do it by right-clicking on the speaker icon on the lower right corner of the screen.  Choose Sound Settings:

Be sure your new USB microphone is selected under "Input"

Next, click on the "Device Properties":

Then, click on "Additional Device Properties"

Click on the "Listen" Tab.  Be sure you can hear yourself talk into the microphone.

Click on the "Level" tab, and adjust the boost and microphone sliders for good audio output.

Last, set up the Flex Smart SDR Microphone settings:

Leave the PC tabs open and now go to your Flex to set up the microphone audio input settings.  Include adjustment of the PC audio settings in your Flex setup trial and error.

Follow this YouTube video to set up your Flex audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzT1qDKKySk&list=FLk0R5BB54Duz-Hj_CRqGjRQ&index=40&t=0s

Follow his YouTube video to preserve your microphone settings as a profile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdz1GRbg9Y&t=8s

Alan
    WA9WUD

• Art Wilcox
    Art Wilcox Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Wow. Very detailed response. I will perform the steps today and follow up comment. Many Thanks! Art KB1YAP
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Have you selected  PC MIC on the MIC selection menu?  I suspect you have but I have to ask.  I like Alan's PC audio instructions.

----------------------------------------SNIP From Manual  -------------------------------
    18.2 TRANSMITTING USING THE DEFAULT RECORDING DEVICE

To transmit using a microphone connected to the PC, select the PC option from the MIC input menu. This automatically selects the Windows default recording device for your MIC input.

Transmit can be triggered using the MOX button on the transmit panel or using VOX, or any PTT

----------------------------END-----------------------------------------
    Gayle K0FLY
  • Art Wilcox
    Art Wilcox Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Yes. Saving the settings/ profile once it is working correctly is very important.
  • Art Wilcox
    Art Wilcox Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    This is supposed to be a helpful forum not a critical one. If you need to vent, go to DMR where everyone is critical.
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The TX band width changes with the MIC selection, Make sure that the high and low frequency settings  are OK for the PC MIC input.  I had the TX band width change from 200-2700 Hz to 1700 -2100 Hz once( standard mic input), hence, no or very little RF out on SSB TX.  That is indicated/changed on the "PHNE"  control panel.  I have no idea why it changed, the anomaly has not repeated.

Gayle K0FLY
  • Art Wilcox
    Art Wilcox Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Your video link pointed me to the issue. It was Blue = antenna 1 (receive) red=Antenna 2 (tx) on smart sdr on the laptop. image Where I noticed something strange on the screen where RF power bar meter and swr bar meter were behaving strangely when modulation on SSB. Thing is I never touched TX antenna setting on the smart SDR . Time to save settings. Many thanks for all your input / help. Art KB1YAP.
  • AA5NM
    AA5NM Member ✭✭
    Options
    I’m new, looking for wisdom and leads about how to best start…and interested in tips for improved operatons and also cautions for frequent first mistakes. I never have found anything as useless and obscene as the negative braggadocio of this post, like who assigned this little boat man status as judge of the characters of FLEX owners. I looked at many of the posts hoping to find in all this bragging of knowledge and superior operations some seeds of helpfulness but instead have discovered where the guy in the Bible who sowed his seeds on bad thistle covered ground has gone…he isin this cheap laky boat lording it over strangers who soon will know much more than he obviously does. How ignorance can shout so loud is amazing. Intelligence is not loud!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.