Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Hdmi fix correction suggestion for flex solution

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in New Ideas
After experimenting with the display issue I have determined the following Problem Definition: 1. Anytime current draw is sensed from the flex hdmi port before startup has been completed by the internal computer the flex screen boots sideways. 2. Anytime current draw is sensed from the flex hdmi port after startup has been completed by the internal computer both the flex screen and the connected hdmi monitor display correctly. Solution: Inhibit the 5 volts pin 18 from being supplied to the hdmi connector on the flex rear panel until flex startup has completed. This way it does not matter if the monitor is on or off or if there is an hdmi switch involved or not because without the 5 volts on pin 18 if flex uses pin 19 which is a hot detect it should not matter. Passive hdmi switches with led indicators do not indicate without a power source until the flex cable is plugged in. Hopefully this could be implemented with a firmware update depending on how much control flex has with the internal computer os and firmware / hardware. NOTE I am not an engineer but I bet if somehow I opened the 5v line on my hdmi port where the flex connects and put a switch there It would be a work around. Just my observations from my tests.
2 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It would be interesting what Flex comes up with after all the testing they are doing on this problem. I would think the software touches every component in the radio, SDR
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have the same exact issue with my 6400M, ver 2.1.33. When I have my HDMI cable plugged into my 6400M and power it on, the screen on the 6400M boots up 90 deg sideways. What I need to do is not have the HDMI cable plugged in or have the external HDMI screen monitor powered on before powering on my 6400M. I went into the Intel video monitor configuration file in the 6400M and configured it for two monitors, saved, rebooted the 6400M, no difference, same issue. This is not a show stopper, more if a nuance. 
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Have you guys tried an inexpensive HDMI switch where you leave one port unplugged?  Perhaps on boot you could switch it to the unused port.   

If anything maybe the inside of the switch could be modified to not give the 5V
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    As long as you have the flex cable plugged into an hdmi switch the current draw occurs whether or not the switch is set to the flex or another input. My temp solution is to run the hdmi cable from the flex leaving it connected to the flex but the other end of it lays disconnected beside the hdmi switch where i plug it in if i want to use the monitor after the flex is started then all is well. When I shut the flex off then I unplug the cable from the switch again.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Crud... Well I was hoping that might be a temp fix!
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Dozens of AVR receivers, Dozens of 4K TV Sets, Dozens of computer monitors, dozens of different computer manufacturers. Everyone uses a standard HDMI set of parameters, and everything plugs into each other and everything works. So placing a HDMI monitor on the radios HDMI port, seems to be something that should just work.. I think Flex will nip this in the **** very fast,, 
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It was a fix for me.  I my HDMI switch is in the empty position when the flex is turned on, all is well.  Pressing the button on the switch is easier than plugging in the HDMI cable after startup.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I have been through this before with my home AVR setup, all 2017 equipment from Sony 4K HDR BluRay player, Yamaha AVR and Sony 4K HDR TV set, and the cable box.. Must first turn on the cable Box, second turn on the Amplifier and Third turn on the TV set.. If i alter from this the chances are that the TV set screen comes up black.. So just got my 6600M.. What I found was you must power on the Flex, let it completely boot up BEFORE you power on your TV set especially if the TV set was last connected to the Flex.. Powering down, the TV set needs to be powered off first, then the Flex.. Tried this a dozen times and every time the TV set turned on and the Flex screen was present.. 

I also tried this,, changed the TV set from HDMI2 to TV 8VSB reception.. Left it on TV, powered off the Flex. Powered on the Flex, let it boot up,, Turned on TV set, came up on TV, switched the TV set to HDMI 2, and up came the Flex.. Validating that the Flex must be booted up first regardless.. And the TV turned on last, but if the TV was on watching TV , or even HDMI1 for cable TV it would be fine going back to HDMI2,, If you turn on the TV first and it comes up looking for HDMI2, and the Flex is not booted, it gets confused.. 

Now we have some other technical reasons for this as Wayne stated above,, and Flex may be able to tweak a few things to not cause this issue, but for now I have a work around, as I do for my Home AVR set up.

Robert
    WA6PHN
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2018
    This issue is a software issue that will be corrected with the next release of SmartSDR (V2.2)
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks Tim,, and thanks FLEX...

Robert
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mine doesn't work like this.  I have an A-B switch in line with the HDMI connector and if the switch is on the unterminated part of the line when powering up the 6600M, then the monitor and radio front come on properly when I turn the switch to the connected side.
  • bsachnoff
    bsachnoff Member ✭✭
    I hate digging up old threads but the 6600M running 3.3.32... When I power on the flex, the screen boots sideways. Same on the TV. If I physically disconnect the HDMI cable and wait for the flex to boot and then plug the TV back in it is fine.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.