Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does backing up the Global Profiles also backs up the amplifier settings? (Expert 1.3K-FA)

Options

About to move from 2.7.6 to 2.8.0 on our Flex 6400 and I made the Global Backup. However, what's not clear is if the Global Backup saves all of the power output settings for use with our SPE Expert 1.3K-FA amplifier.

I don't have any issue with the TS-480SAT as the analog ALC line works just fine with the amp. But for use with the Flex, it took a lot of tweaking as there is no equivalent ALC line (too bad).

Answers

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Check your user manual. Mine states:

Transmit profiles manage the transmitter power and interlock settings. The power settings are saved by band, while the interlock settings apply to all bands. The power settings include the transmitter power level, tune power level and ALC.

So I have always saved power output settings for my SPE amp to a Transmit Profile.

You can always do a dummy run. Load the Profile that you think has the settings saved that you want and check that it really does before making the software update.

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

If you have the CAT connection to an SPE amp the best way to manage drive power is from the amp and not the radio. You can set drive powers on the amp for each of the three output levels per band. Then when the amp is in Operate mode it will set the radio to the correct drive power for your selected output level. When the amp is in Standby mode it allows the radio to operate at the level you set the radio to operate at. I use the Low power level for FT8 at about 200 watts and the High power level of 1.5 KW on SSB.

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    Options

Rick N4RZ - Yep ... that's how we did it. We configured the 1.3K-FA amp for each band when using the Flex 6400. We also have a Kenwood TS-480SAT connected to the same amp (port #2) and that radio has an analog ALC connection to the amp. We NEVER had any issue with that connection as the amp and the radio's ALC loop handle the drive level.

As we all know, with the Flex, we need to manually set the levels for each band. Too bad that we can't have an ALC connection like with the TS-480SAT ... but I digress :-)

As for data, we don't use the amp for FT8 (no need ... we run FT8 at ~40W max) and for other data modes, we never run more than ~200W. We only use the amp at full power for voice and when it's needed. Most of the time, we never need to go more than "MID" on the amp.

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think you got what I was trying to say. The method I mentioned is an alternative to using profiles to control drive power and is more like ALC in that the amp controls the drive power. Also, when the amp is put on standby the radio will revert to what you have set as full power automatically. The SPE amp with your 6400 being set to max output power has the capability to control the drive power it receives from your radio. This setup is done on the amplifier by power level and band. The SPE amplifier stores the drive power level you set. Then when you operate the amplifier, it will send a command to your 6400 via the RS-232 connection to set the drive power. This is based on the band the radio is on and the power level set on the amp.

The info on how to do this is on pages 41 and 42 of the SPE 1.3K-FA manual version 2.1 under the title of "ALC with Flex-Radio".

I have been using this setup for over 5 years and never overdrive the amp.

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Those drive settings are stored in the SPE 1.3K. I sold my 1.3k FA to a friend and when he hooked it up to his flex 6500 the same drive settings were already setup for him from when I did it on my flex 6700.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.