Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Noise reduction ?

I read some old community discussion on NR and also watched the videos that Tim and Mike created on AGC-T. I don't have a lot of noise in my area , no nasty line noise or anything. I'm just intrigued that when I click on the NR button I notice no change in noise at all. Regardless of RF Gain settings in my 7610, Flex 3000 and other past radios, I always noticed SOME change. Is my experience with NR on the 6400 with latest SmartSDR normal ?

Band I was testing things on today was 15M.

Andy K3UK

Tagged:

Answers

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

On the slice flag, you can select DSP. If you click it, do you alter the NR level? (0-100). If you just click NR on the general control panel, it will only perform the default or previous setting. I fell into the same trap some while ago, and quietly discovered my mistake! If you have not already done so, give it a go. It should work fine.

73 Mike G4GWH

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Higher bands have lower noise levels. Maybe try the same experiment on 80M. Then vary the nr control to hear the changes.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Mike. Earlier today, before I saw your answer.. I saw the NR adjustment slider under DSP and that made a big difference. I use to know all this back when I had a 6300 for a couple of years. I have forgotten a lot in the 4 years of not using SmartSDR

Andy K3UK

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.