Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

NEW SUPPLIED POWER CABLE LENGTH QUESTION

Options
Phil Porter
Phil Porter Member
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
How long is the PowerPole terminated DC power cable that ships with the Flex 6400 transceiver?

Answers

• Phil Porter
    Phil Porter Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Since there was no response on this forum, Matt at FlexRadio sales was more than helpful to answer this prospective buyer question. The power cable length furnished with a new radio is six (6) feet. I'm laying out my new station and needed to know if it would be necessary to break out the hydraulic crimper and **** splices to make a longer power cable or not. Product as well as user forum support is important for one to get up and stay running with a particular brand of radio. Elmers on this SDR technology are definite stress relievers for us old analog dinosaurs :0).
  • Michael T  Lieberman
    Options
    Is it possible to get an 8' cable ??
  • Michael T  Lieberman
    Options
    Also ( forgot) what gauge is the cable wire ???
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Michael, I think Flex only sells the 6 ft cables. You can go to the Powerwerx web site and order a custom cable for a reasonable price if you don't want to make your own. A 10 footer made of # 10 wire with 1/4 inch ring terminals at one end and 45 amp Anderson Power Pole connectors at the other is around $26 USD.

Custom DC Power Cables | Powerwerx

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just a caution. There may be noticeable power loss through a cable of this length, though some of it may be due to the use of power poles. I reconfigured my station to put the power supply next to the radio with a 1 foot power cable with ring connectors at the ps and power poles at the radio. When I adjust the ps to get 13.8 v at the radio during transmit, the ps is set to almost 15 volts, so about 1 volt drop.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

10 ft of #10 wire at 14 VDC and 25 amps will have a voltage drop of approximately .5 V. #8 wire will reduce that to about .3 V.

For reference, 6 ft of #10 under the same conditions will have a drop of .3 V.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.