Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

GPS Antenna

Options

I have been using the GPS antenna that came with my flex GPS Unit, I know its not intended for outside use. My station is in the basement, underground, I have no window with a view of any part of the sky, therefore, have had it sitting outside on fence. I have not had any issues until recently. I now have no more than about 2 or 3 satellites according to the Radio Setup menu. It is in Holdover Status. I thought my cable may have been bite through by a new puppy, however, no cable damage can be found. The GPS part is open to all elements, including snow, rain, etc. Cable appears to be fine. Any ideas what could be causing this issue? I have been considering a Marine GPS antenna and mounting up on gutter or roof, non-permanent mounting. Any ideas what would be the best. I do have about 25 foot of cable coming as an extension, has male/female SMA connectors. Any info would be appreciated. I am hoping my internal GPS has not been damaged. I get a continuous yellow indicator and software does indicate a holdover state.

Answers

• g6eih
    g6eih Member ✭✭
    Options
    Had many issues with mine over the last few years and find it comes back into service if I uninstall the GPS within the radio and re install, another measure is to disconnect the GPS antenna for several minutes reconect and it all starts working again. Currently its been running for 17 months without issues.
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    Options

When you say disconnect, are you talking completely remove the module or simply the uninstall button in the radio setup? I did the uninstall and disconnected antenna for a while, several hours, now restarted and installed and reconnected antenna. Still in holdover

• g6eih
    g6eih Member ✭✭
    Options
    Disconnect the GPS antenna from the rear of the rig and in the radio setup software uninstall the GPS, power the rig down and remove DC power for a few minutes. Restore DC power and fire the rig up, reconnect the GPS antenna and in the radio setup software reinstall the GPS. My GPS antenna is hanging outside of a window and is subject to all kinds of weather.
  • Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    Options

So this is where I stand. I did the uninstall function in the software. Turned off the Flex 6600. Disconnected power. Let sit for hours... Plugged power back in . Connected GPS antenna. Turned on. After finished booting, I started the software. Selected the install for the GPS. It never changed anything, let sit there for a little bit. Then I shut down software and restarted. GPS showed it was YELLOW on flex, and flashing yellow in software, says warming up. Has been warming up for a while now, at least 20 minutes. I disconnected the GPS antenna and checked for output voltage, found 5.07 volts. My last assumption is the antenna or antenna wire is bad. I did not located any cuts or chew marks from dogs. Not sure what to think.

My question is should I simply by another Flex GOS antenna as It has to be outside as I have no windows down here. Or should I look into a different brand antenna such as a marine GPS receive antenna

Or any other ideas??

r/

Glenn

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Glenn, for $15 USD, you can get a waterproof, 28 dB gain GPS antenna designed to be magnetically mounted on a car roof. It has an SMA connector and runs on 3 - 5 VDC. I have not used this antenna so I can't tell you how well it works, but for the price, it is probably worth checking out. The Flex antenna is pretty specific about being an indoor unit, so I don't think I would get that one for your situation.

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes that is probably the one i ordered last night. I opened up my flex GPS and found moisture in it. I bet would have been ok if I would have put some of that flex seal spray around it to seal it up better. Oh well. Looking forward to new gps antenna to show up. Will post with results.

Thanks all

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Flex seal would certainly be the appropriate product... 😁

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.