Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600M + Power GeniusXL + Tuner Genius XL + Antenna Genius 8 x 2

Folks,

If I order the above lot (or at least Flex 6600M + Power GeniusXL), do I have to buy any EXTRA CABLES to connect the above lot to run it ? In other words, I am looking to get a "plug and play" kit.

I am from a small, remote Atlantic Ocean Island of La Palma, and shipping is very difficult (and expensive).

Just trying to avoid a situation of having a few expensive boxes without being able to enjoy them :-)

If I do need extra cables, which ones do I have to order ?

Thank you.

Anton, EA8DIG

Answers

• Ian
    Ian Member ✭✭

Hi Anton

I have the 6600 / PGXL / TGXL / AGXL set up and run SO2R. Check the manual on the connector types for the 6600M to make sure all of your accessories fit, like microphone, speakers etc. you need a power speaker. It comes with a power pole connector and wire for the 12 power supply. I run 2 coax lines to from the 6600 to the PGXL, 2 more from the PGXL to the TGXL and 2 more to the AGXL. The PGXL did not come with a power line connector in my box so you need to get one for either 110 or 220 lines that you have. For the switch and tuner check what they say but I used my own 12v power suppler connectors and wire. Some of the boxes come with Lan cables but they were all to short for my set up, so you want to think where you want to place the equipment and get the length you need. You will also need a LAN switch to connect all the boxes together. I got an 8 port switch for extra room.

as I like to operate without headphones mostly, I found the PGXL fan to be a bit load when running in SO2R, but not bad when only on 1 radio, so I placed all of my boxes 20 feet away from the operating position where my antennas enter the house. I have the 6600 which is right beside me.

Hope this helps

73, Ian VE3JI

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Anton, I would also get one of these for your powered speakers (they are just a 1:1 audio transformer and connectors):

I use the Creative T10 speakers, but there are others that work as well. I have a cable from my 13.8 linear supply to the speakers to eliminate the little switching supply, so that is a cable to consider (I built my own).

Also think about headsets if you plan on using one. You will want to get any adapters if needed. I had to build a simple adapter for my Yamaha CM-500 headset. I bought a second adapter to be able to use it with my laptop when I operate remotely.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

As others have mentioned, just RF cables, network cables, an AC power plug to match your outlet for the amp (220 to 240 volts recommended). You can use a gigabit Ethernet switch at operating position to connect all equipment and computer then one network cable to router. Note - you will need a Windows computer for firmware updates.

Microphone input on 6600 is either 1/4” TRS balanced in or 1/8” TRS pseudo balanced mic in. RCA for PTT in. Amplified PC speakers use stereo 1/8” in.

To use the setup in SO2R may require additional bandpass filters depending on spacing between antennas. Flex has a work sheet available to help with calculations if you need additional filters. Two RF cables from radio to amp, two RF cables from amp to SO2R version of Tuner Genius and two RF cables from Tuner Genius to 2x8 antenna switch. The radio and tuner come with DC cables unterminated at power supply end. I recommend radio DC power connect direct to power supply and not a Rig Runner.

I have same setup here and it works very well.

Dave wo2x

• EA8DIG
    EA8DIG Member ✭✭

Thank you, folks, for your replies.

It seems that I have the above-mentioned general bits and pieces.

Jolly good.

73 ! and see you on the air.

Anton, EA8DIG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.