Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR for Mac on older Mac Mini?

I am running Mac SmartSDR on my M1 Mini and M1 Macbook Air. I am interested in adding another Mac Mini to dedicate to it in the shack, and am looking at refurb Minis.

Anyone that can comment on how well Mac SmartSDR runs on a late-2014 vintage dual-core i5 Mini?

Thanks

Steve AK0M

Comments

• MarkS
    MarkS Member ✭✭

Per the SmartSDR for Mac manual you need to be running at least Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina. I think that’s going to be the issue with the older macs operating system rather than the horsepower.

However, if you can run windows 10 on a virtual machine, with SmartSDR for Windows, you might have a workable solution.

Mark Wd9jen.

• Steve - AK0M
    Steve - AK0M Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022

The late-2014 Mini's are stated to be compatible with the current Monterey OS. The next older generation (late 2012) are compatible with 10.15.7 Catalina but nothing later.

I am most interested in whether the late-2014 models perform acceptably well.

I am running SmartSDR for Windows already in my shack, but potentially migrating there as well to SmartSDR for Mac.

Steve AK0M

• Lou KI5FTY
    Lou KI5FTY Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022

I'm running it on a Mac mini (Late 2012 2.5 GHz ) Catalina and it is working with occasional stuttering of the audio if I make new request on a web browser at the same time. I also run it on MacBook Pro (mid 2015 2.2 GHz i7) Monterey with no problems at all.

• Steve - AK0M
    Steve - AK0M Member ✭✭

I found a great deal on a used late-2014 Mac mini with an i5 and only 4GB RAM. It is running Mac SmartSDR on Monterey just fine. It was initially almost unusable until I replaced the mechanical hard drive with an SSD (a non-trivial exercise, btw), now it runs very snappy. Added bonus is that I installed Bootcamp and Windows 10, so now I still have a way to get to my Windows ham software when needed.

73, Steve AK0M

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

Just a note - I am running SmartSDR for Mac on the Mac mini with the M1 and macOS Monterey. $699 and it hasn't missed a beat. All applications run smooth as silk, and that includes Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One, Amazon Music, and Universal Audio LUNA recording software. While listening to the bands, I can edit photos or record a wicked guitar solo. No issues, and no performance difference from my $5500 iMac Pro! Highly recommended.

• Lou KI5FTY
    Lou KI5FTY Member ✭✭

SmartSDR for Mac now requires 11.15 - Catalina is no longer supported

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

W7NGA - I'm curious how much RAM your Mac Mini M1 has?

Butch, KF4HR

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭

W7NGA - I'm curious how much RAM your Mac Mini M1 has?

8GB

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Dan. I plan to have a Mac Mini M1 in the shack soon.

KF4HR

• James True
    James True Member ✭✭
    I have a late 2012 Mac Mini that I want to use in the shack. Does anyone know how I can get an older version of the Mac SDR software that will run on 10.15.7 Catalina. I have purchased the app and run it on my MacBook Pro M1 at work.
  • K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

Hi James

i run macssdr on older mac running Catalina ( part of a mac mini server farm in my basement)

my mac just keep on working...i replaced all HDDs with SSD's..no moving parts except fans

email me and i can send that version to you...which should work

marcus cant post it in the older version in app store...i think cause APPLE policy...

my email saukp@aol.com

paul K3SF

since you have valid purchase of macssdr it should work...

i run multiple mac mins (intel and M1) as well MacbookAir (MBA) m1

older minis run High sierra and Catalina, newer minis & mba run Sonoma

i can remote log into any of them from the radio room

so i have older s/w available when needed ;-)

and

i can load share tasking too

like running fourslice of macssdr on one mini

and

having four FT8 running on another mini

i use the older minis also to run windows VM

where i can run windows SSDR versions too

house is wired ;-))

• Lou KI5FTY
    Lou KI5FTY Member ✭✭

Not apple policy - other software supports more than 2 versions of the OS. That is a decision He made.