Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using Faros with SmartSDR

Richard Mogford
Richard Mogford Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I recently set up Faros to run with my Flex-6300. Faros is a program that automatically checks radio beacons and provides data on signal strength on the 20 through 10 meter bands.

Initially, I had trouble installing and running Faros. On Windows 10, I got it working in XP compatibility mode. If you get error messages when first running the program, it may be because there is no sound input. The "Settings" menu for sound input selection is under the "View" menu. On SmartSDR, set the CW bandwidth to 3.0 K.

I set Faros up to control the 6300 using the Flex CAT program via OmniRig. I initially chose DAX for the sound data input. However, there were problems with the timing of the sound data and Alex (VE3NA), the author, suggested to use a direct sound output from the 6300 to the PC's sound input jack. This worked much better.

Faros now runs smoothly with SmartSDR checking the 18 radio beacons and plotting the data.  Very nice!

Please contact me if you have questions.

Richard
AE5XO

Comments

• Richard Mogford
    edited December 2019
    Correction: Faros seems to install on most Windows 10 machines without using compatibility mode.

Richard
  • Robert Guertin
    edited December 2019
    where do you get the software?
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Richard

Saw your post on Faros from a few years back. Trying to get Faros to run with my 6600. The CAT control of the radio is working fine, shfiting the bands and freqs on time. I hear the beacons but they are not being recorded in the Monitor, History or Details tab in Faros. I have sound input from the 6600 going directly to the PC soundcard. Any ideas on what I may have wrong, or could you share a screenshot of your OmniRig setup?

73 Paul w2eck

• Richard Mogford

Paul

It has been a while since I did this. I'll see if I can remember!

Richard

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭

Richard - thanks appreciate it

73 Paul

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.