Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

profile question about switching between 2 amplifiers with 6600 and smartsdr

hi everyone... i want to be able to select between my kpa500 and my alpha99 amps. so, i thought i'd do a profile change where the kpa500 was hooked to ant1 and the alpha was on ant2. kpa500 is switched with tx1 in the band prefs and the alpha is on tx3. i'm manually switching (with a patch cable) the outputs of the amps to the antenna system. i'm not sure an antenna switch would have the isolation i need.

so i figured this is a good job for profiles! and then i learned, well... maybe not. i set up the alpha, saved a global and a tx profile. reconfigured for the kpa500 and saved another set of profiles. i expected to see the tx selections in the band setting change when i flipped from one to the other, but that doesn't happen. the antenna selection changes, but not the tx band settings so i still have to reconfigure from one amp to the other when i want to change.

obviously i'm misunderstanding something about profiles.....

if you were trying to set up something similar, how would you do it?

(i'm posting here because i use the mac version of smartsdr. apologies if this belongs elsewhere.)

thanks!
ken ns7v

Best Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Ken

try setting up the TX profile first, then save the global profile with the RX profile you just created.

in your case you would need a TX and global profile for rack amp.

Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Ken,

Glad it worked. The “trick” is to create the mic and transmit profile, then save the Global profile with whatever name you want. That saving of the global profile will then use then currently selected transmit and mic profiles.

One more step. Start at the lowest band after doing the above steps. Set up any receive parameters (panadapter width, slice filter, AGC-T) then save the global profile. Go up to the next band and do the same with receive parameters. Save same global profile as it will add that band’s info to it. Repeat for remaining bands.

73 and Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

Dave wo2x

Answers

• kenb
    kenb Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Dave. I'll give this a shot tomorrow!

ken ns7v
  • kenb
    kenb Member ✭✭
    Dave, that seems to have done it, but i had to iterate through it a few times to get it to stick.

thank you!

ken ns7v