Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

REM ON

Question on REM ON RCA connection behavior. With radio off, if you close the REM ON RCA connection radio boots up. But, how long should connection be made? 1 sec, permanently? Now, once the radio is ON, you open the REM ON RCA connection and radio goes off. But, if that were true, my radio would be off now as nothing is plugged into the REM ON RCA connection. I am confused as to what the behavior is. Thanks in advance, Dan

From Hardware manual: "This RCA connector is provided for remote power-on functionality. When the Remote Power ON feature is enabled, shorting this input to ground will activate the radio - opening this connector will disable power on the radio. Refer to the SmartSDR documentation for information on how to configure this input. (Note: 3.3VDC Max Input.)"

Comments

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

There is a configuration item which needs to be enabled to allow the remote on connection to function. On SSDR for Mac it is a check-box in the "Radio / Flex-XXXX Settings / General" tab, labeled "Remote on enabled".

On the "MM radio front panel., it is under "Menu / Radio", and labeled "Remote On" either "Enabled" or "Disabled".

I can't check on SSDR Windows right now, as I have both the M front panel and SSDR Mac connected.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Hi Ted, yes I am aware of the "Remote on enabled". setting in SSDR. My question is related to this but more on REM ON RCA connection behavior. Thanks, dan

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

To keep the radio turned on, the connection must be asserted continually. Opening the switch across the REM will turn the radio back off.

73, Craig KØCF

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Hi Craig, thanks for the clarification. Easy. I must have been over thinking this. Thanks, dan

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Craig, this is with only the "Remote on enabled" setting in SSDR checked on. Correct? If not checked on, some other behavior is on play where maybe REM ON RCA connection state has no function? Thanks, dan

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

That is correct. Without "Remote on enabled" checked, the REM ON RCA has no function. Opening and closing a switch or relay connected to it will do nothing.

73, Craig KØCF

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Thanks Craig. Perfect. I wish they spelled this out in manual. Thanks for good info. 73, de Dan WA1QZX

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Dan, the behavior seems funny, but it is actually consistent.

If you have a switch connected (as I do), you can power the radio up by pressing the power button or the REM switch. If the radio and switch get "out of sync" (power is on, but REM is off or power is off but REM is on), changing the state of the REM switch will bring them back in sync, but will not change the state of the radio. A second change of the REM switch will change the power state of the radio.

They can get out of sync if you power up one way, but power down a different way. For example, if you power up using the power button (REM is off), then want to power off using REM, you have to turn REM on, then off again to power down the radio.

Hopefully that all makes sense...

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

Len, that could be really confusing if you normally operate remote, but someone locally turned the radio on or off!

On the other hand, having implemented such circuitry, I can understand completely why it works that way.

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭

We have it constantly ON with a shortplug RCA. We switch Power Supply remotely.

Just beware : The connection might be **** ( happend to us ) and shock ( even a Transmit relay ! click ws enough ) will make the Radio powercycle. We needed to make the plugs ring more tight fitting...an ooooold HiFi RCA Plug problem...

Harry

• KD0RC

Hi Ted, Yep! It totally makes sense once you see it in action and try it a couple of times, but just reading a description can be fairly confounding...

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Len, Oh! Thanks for the additional info on behavior when using local power button and REM ON method and how they can get out of sync and how to resolve. Makes sense. Thank you for this additional and very useful information. dan

• KD0RC

Glad that helped, Dan!

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I have both connected to separate WEB Remote Relay's because I don't like dumping the Power Supply unless I have to remotely.

I have had way to many power supply's running on Television Translators and Repeaters on Mountain tops for years and years until a power outage and they don't turn back on, Of course these are all switching Power supply's that are more prone to this type of failure.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.