Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW via SmartLink connected to a remote Flex6400

I am a new user of my club's 6400, which is situated on a mountain top not far from me. I have worked SSB from my computer linked to the radio via SmartLink. I'd like to work CW now and can't find if I can do so simply be plugging my paddle into my laptop. My laptop only has a headphone jack, no line-in jack. So it seems to me that I can't do this. I do have logitech speakers that has an input jack so perhaps that would work. Failing that, how do I transmit CW using the keyboard?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Grant, Take a look at this group:

RemoteKeyerInterface@groups.io | Topics

They have a simple to build keyer interface and software that will key your rig remotely. Using a Serial port (likely with a USB to RS232 adapter), you close CTS and RTS to ground to key the rig. I think DTR/DSR can be used for PTT, but I don't remember for sure. The RemoteKeyerInterface software detects the control signal changes when you kit the key and sends a "key the rig" command to the Flex over the LAN/WAN connection.

I built the interface this past summer, and it works great. I later coded my own homebrew box (TeensyMaestro) to send the keying commands, so I no longer use the RemoteKeyerInterface, but it is always in my computer bag should my own gizmo stop working.

If you want to send CW remotely using the keyboard instead of a keyer, you can open the CWX interface in SmartSDR and key directly into the CW entry window. With this approach, you won't need the RKI interface or software.

• Grant VK4JAZ
    Grant VK4JAZ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Len, I'll try the CWX interface first.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.