Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Getting a Ubiquiti USG (or UDM, UDM-Pro) using VPN to work with SmartSDR (win)

NT1K
NT1K Member ✭✭

I have Ubiquiti USG with VPN enabled. The VPN works great for everything but the flex (6400). I was wondering if anyone has successfully used their USG/UDM/UDM-Pro with their flex 6000 series radio VIA VPN. If so, what exactly did you do in the controller to get it working.

I understand that SmartSDR uses discovery and has to be on the same subnet as the VPN but this is a little bit outside what I know. Any help would be appreciated.

There are a few reasons I would like to use a VPN instead of SmartLink. Mostly security concerns (close as many doors as possible) and I have other devices (rotor/switch) that I control locally. I also don't want to go out and purchase a RasPi and setup Softether.

Thanks, NT1K

Answers

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

I am pretty sure the USG uses a "L3" routed VPN. The only VPN i know that is pure "L2" ( OSI Layer 2 ) is softethernet and i remember there once has been another bespoke VPN doing layer2 traffice..can´t remember what it was. The Flex needs Layer 2 Network as it uses L2 broadcasting to distinct between direct connection or smartlink need.

Softethernet works perfect with the flex and other networked radios.

Harry

• NT1K
    NT1K Member ✭✭

Thanks. I'm aware of Softether but that involves the purchase of a RasPi. I was hoping to take advantage of the hardware I currently own and use. Thank you!

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I use the SoftEther VPN with an old laptop. This lets me control my amp, tuner and rotator as well as connecting my TeensyMarstro when I am remote. Although I normally use SmartLink, I can connect SmartSDR to the radio this way.

I am thinking of getting a Raspberry Pi just to experiment with, but I don't need it to run SoftEther.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I have even ran SoftEther on the same computer I always use for the local SmartSDR operation when I'm home.

I now run mine on my Windows PLEX server which is on all the time anyway if it wasn't I would run it on a Raspberry Pi, It would probably even run fine on my Raspberry Pi4 that is running my Node-Red service which is GREAT for station control while running remotely.

good luck

Bret

WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.