Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Synergy Software

nt9e
nt9e Member ✭✭
edited December 2020 in Third-Party Software
I have 3 monitors using 2 computers since each computer only has 2 monitor conns each. I have been using 2 kbds and 2 mice since I installed the second computer. Tonight a friend told me about a software app called Synergy. (This maybe known already by the Community but not by me) You install it on both computers and it will let you use I kbd and 1 mouse over all 3 monitors like an extended display even though you are using 2 computers. This is great stuff. $29 for the basic program. symless.com/synergy
Dave NT9E

Comments

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020

You do not mention if you are using Windows 10 or not. Another solution for those on Windows 10 is to setup and use Virtual Desktops. This might allow you to do away with the use of the second computer. With a group of three key presses you can immediately change thru your different virual desktop with application running and view things. I run three virtual desktops at all times. One with SmartSDR and the other station equipment software like amplifier and rotor interfaces, another one with DXlabs for logging and cluster information and a third with email and other normal daily applications.

Here is a link to explain, show some pictures and instruction on setup and use.

If you need to keep the second computer then you can buy Logitech keyboards and mice that use what they call FLOW. This allows the mouse and keyboard to move seemlessly between different computers without having to change the keyboard or mouse. I have used a mouse with Flow enabled and it worked quite well. Here is a link explaining more.

Last option is if your computer allows for bluetooth connections then there are several keyboards and mice that allow for switching between computers with the press of a single button on the mouse or keyboard. I have used a Logitech M720 mouse and a K380 keyboard to use them on two different computers.

Of course the most expensive option is to buy a video card that allow for the use of more monitors with a single computer.

I know you already have a solution with Synergy that works for you and these additional options might not be useful for you. I also tried Synergy back more than a year ago and it did work however at the time it would sometime have a crash and mess up my desktop icons and configurations and I got tired of having to fix them so I tried these other options until I found what worked best for me.

Right now my station display monitor setup includes a 55 in 4K display in the center and two 24in displays on each side stacked one above the other. I just recently replace the older 21 in display with new 24in HP displays which were on sale for $80 each spec's with Display port connections.

On another station I use a older Dell Latitude E 6420 i7 that I bought used off ebay for $80 along with a Dell PR02X docking station that I picked up at a hamfest for $20. This allow a total of three monitors natively from the laptop.

John K3MA

• nt9e
    nt9e Member ✭✭

John, thanks for your input. I will try it for a while to see if it messes up. But using the same mouse over all 3, 24" monitors, like it was an extended display, is just awesome.

• lwayne232
    lwayne232 Member
    edited December 2020
    I have 3 computers with 5 monitors (in my office - not part of my ham station) using Windows and use the free program "Micrososft Mouse without borders". I have found it very simple to setup and use.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/garage/wall-of-fame/mouse-without-borders/

Larry K8LS
  • nt9e
    nt9e Member ✭✭

Thanks for your input, Wayne.

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭

Stardock also has a similar product, called Multiplicity. I have used it to handle text and mouse clicks on my Thinkpad X1 Tablet.

Vy 73,

Roy AC2GS

• Lou KI5FTY
    Lou KI5FTY Member ✭✭

Synergy is the only one mentioned that works on windows, macs and linux. I now have 7 monitors and 4 (2 win, 1 linux and 1 mac) machines controlled by it.

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭

I have been running Synergy for about 4-5 years going between an iMac and Win 10 pc without issues. One mouse and one keyboard it is great. I also had a third win 10 PC and again no issues.

Don - kx9q

• Terry Ashland
    Terry Ashland Member ✭✭

A little late to the party, but Mouse without borders works perfectly!

• Lou KI5FTY
    Lou KI5FTY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2021

I use barrier which is a fork of the original opensource synergy. I have run both barrier and synergy and have found that the free opensource barrier works better and more features. Save your money and checkout:

(7 monitors + 1 windows pc + 2 linux pcs + 1 mac) = (1 keyboard + 1 mouse) !

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.