Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Powered Speaker for the 6400M

I currently have a 6400M. The powered speaker that I have connected to the jack in the back of the radio is a ClearSpeech DSP Speaker. But I have to turn up the volume on the speaker very high to even hear anything. I did read on several posts that the Powered Speaker jack is a stereo jack. So am I correct in saying that I would need two speakers connected to hear cw and ssb at a decent volume level? I must confess that some of the powered speakers out there are no inexpensive.

Just for example the Heil HPS-5 Powered speaker is $199.00 per unit. I did read this description about the speaker. A mono 1/8 in. miniature (3.5mm) input jack is for connection to any transceiver external speaker or line level output jack. Since this is a mono powered speaker, any stereo audio device may be connected with the appropriate stereo to mono adapter. If that is the case, can anyone recommend an adapter that I can use?

Thanks!

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭

Mark, I use Audioengine A2+ speakers. It is a stereo pair, and yes, you do need stereo speakers. If you operate split, you can set the balance so that your receive frequency is to one side, and your transmit frequency to the other. This way it is easy to keep track of the pile-up because you can hear what is going on on your transmit frequency.

I got these speakers from Amazon about 5 years ago when I got my 6500. They are wonderful-sounding speakers, but not cheap. I was lucky and got them on sale for $199. The price today is $269. I feel they are well worth the price, but your mileage may vary...

73, Craig KØCF

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Just a a guess, but how is the L-R balance adjusted? Also, depending on how the plug is wired, one channel could be grounded, or the two channels could be out of phase and cancelling each other.

To test, most any stereo speaker will work. I use a usb powered speaker pair leftover from a previous computer setup.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.