Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

On-Off Switch, TGXL.

I have just noticed a curiosity with the Tuner Genius design. The On-Off Switch is at the rear of the device. All my other equipment has the power switch easily accessible on the front of the gear. It is such a shame as it would make common sense to have a switch or button at the front, so that when you close down the shack at the end of play, you can attend to each separate device independently with ease. I have quite a lot of wires trailing out of the back of my gear (there are 10 cables at the back of the 6600M alone!), and may be concerned to accidentally disturb one if I were to have to reach behind this one item just to access the switch.

I imagine that there is a perfectly good reason for this design, and I will just probably leave it on all the time regardless. It has not stopped me in my decision-making, and I have now pre-ordered one with delivery expected most likely at the end of December 2021!!!

Just my thoughts,.......

73 de Mike G4GWH

Comments

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Mike - Just a guess but perhaps 403A decided to mount the TG-XL power switch on the rear panel because it keeps the incoming power lead routing short inside the TG-XL. The PG-XL also has a rear mount power switch, although the TG-XL's power switch is a bit harder to reach because it's fairly small and mounted right beside a ground terminal, which I found tough to reach around, especially when other equipment is sitting beside the TG-XL.

What I've done is just leave the TG-XL and PG-XL power switches in their on position and apply power to both these units remotely.

Butch, KF4HR

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭

Butch - Thanks for your viewpoint. It is what it is, as they say over here. You could well be right with keeping short the power lead, but then you could argue the same for the 6600M which of course has a lovely and satisfying front press-button, albeit saying that when "off" the 6600 is placed into a stand-by mode, keeping power to essential circuitry for rapid (HA-HA) re-starting. I will most probably just make up a remote switch in series with the 12v power cord to the TGXL and place it where I can get to it easily.

It is unlikely that I will invest in the PGXL as here in UK we are held to 400w maximum, and it would be a bit of an over-****, but yes, I also noted the location of the PGXL mains switch at the rear. We live in an imperfect world!!!

73 de Mike G4GWH.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭

Hi Mike. Good point about the power switch on the 6600 being on the front. Same situation with my 6700. Perhaps longer power leads inside these units aren't a concern at the 100w level (again, just guessing).

As I'm sure you're aware, there are many ways to remote power your TG-XL. My solution was us to use a West Mountain Radio Rigrunner 4005i power distribution unit. This allowed me to place the 4005i within easy reach to turn my TG-XL on or off (along with four other 12v devices individually). Plus I can link into the 4005i via LAN or WAN for long(er) distance remote operation. This seems to be working fine for me.

73 and GL

Butch KF4HR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.