Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mouse Scroll

I know this has been discussed before, but I have tried 3 different mice(bluetooth, wireless, wired) for changing frequency. In all cases I have had to change the scrolling speed to max to make it work, however it not very smooth. The problem with max speed, it's too fast for other things on my Mac. Is there a solution or do I need to find the right mouse. I'm using a Flex-6400M and MacBook Pro M1.

John N1JM

Comments

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021

John,

Not only can you adjust the mouse sensitivity in SmartSDR for Mac in the Preferences->Mouse/Trackpad settings, but also within the Mac operating system under Mouse preferences. I found a combination that works for me, balancing system sensitivity with SmartSDR sensitivity. I also found that I was never able to get the Magic Mouse to work, on all three of my systems, though others have had no issues. I finally settled on a Logitech Bluetooth mouse that works reasonably well. I also found the Apple Trackpad works great but, sadly, it just didn't suit my style for navigating. With the latest inclusion of new keyboard and MIDI controller options, I have minimized my dependence on the mouse. I am using the Mac Mini M1 and Big Sur which performs bodaciously well with SmartSDR for Mac.

W7NGA - Daniel, Seaside Oregon

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

I use a Kensington trackball with scroll ring to great effect - I am very happy with it. I also lately added a DJ2GO2 Touch to the mix and have about everything I want. Almost never touch the trackball now, but its still there when I need / want it.

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    Thanks to you both for your comments. I'm new to Flex with a 6400M. I love this radio. It's a bit of a learning curve to find all the adjustments, etc. The sensitivity adjustment did the tick.
    Now to read up on how to remote the radio. I'm going away soon and would like to connect to it remotely.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi John, something that worked for me... I started by just connecting the computer via a cell phone hot spot from the shack. That let me know that I was getting through the internet using SmartLink. In my case, it just worked. But if it hadn't, I would be near my radio and networking gear so that I could work on a solution.

Mike, VA3MW has some YouTube videos on remote operation of Flex radios that are well worth taking a look at. One of the big things that I learned from Mike is the use of a second computer local to the radio. This lets you run various station accessories using TeamViewer, AnyDesk, RemoteDesktop, etc.

I can rotate my beam and control my tuner and amp using TeamViewer and the second computer. I also have a cheap WiFi 4 channel switch that I can control with my cell phone that lets me power my Flex 6400 on and off, as well as switching among 3 antennas.

If you go to my QRZ page, you will see a diagram and (very) brief description of how I am set up when I operate remotely. I still need to add the amp, tuner and WiFi switch to the diagram. You do not need to start off with the SoftEther VPN that I use for my homebrew gizmo, and in fact, you may never have anything that requires it. Just know that a VPN can be used to connect things over the internet if you ever have that need.

KD0RC - Callsign Lookup by QRZ Ham Radio

For starters, you may just want to operate with the computer over SmartLink, and add other functionality as you gain experience. I often use just the mic in the computer and no one can tell that I am remote. For even better audio quality (and less background noise), I use a headset mic. In our small camper, my wife appreciates this option...

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    Len, I tested out smart link and that works fine. All I need for now. If I am away there is usually some here that can reboot things if they go wacky. Next to hook up my KPA500/KAT500, which I see you have.