Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuner Genius XL 1x3 Band Configuration

Options

I am wondering if there is any information on how to setup and use the Band Configuration section for the TGXL 1x3. The manual show information on use with the Antenna Genius and SO2R but does not provide much information on the 1x3 version which is quite different.

I have stumble along and figured out some functionality on my own but still have the following specific questions.

1) How/Can the antenna names be made custom instead of just ANT1, ANT2 and ANT3?

2) If you want to use more than one antenna on a band what is the proper way to configure it's use and then switch between antennas? Is the switching automatic by frequency assigned or only manual from the TGXL application?

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I have not seen the 1x3 band configurator. in the SO2R it gets antenna names from the Antenna Genius, which the AG also defines which antennas are available per band.

Dave wo2x

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭
    Options

Here is a screenshot. Unfortunately, it seems the Flex app does not follow normal Windows conventions as you cannot change the size of the window and have to scroll down to see the other bands.

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have observed that there is an option to change the Minimal SWR on the band configuration panel above. Does anyone have experience of how low you can go with this adjustment. In other words, could I set a value of say, 1.1, as opposed to 1.25? Would this action significantly increase the tuning time taken to achieve? Or is there a bottom limit that can be reasonably expected for efficient use? I can see no reference to this question in the down-loaded provisional manual for the TGXL.

I Imagine that you would be able to manually adjust the SWR to as near to 1:1 should you wish to.

I also realise that to attain 1:1 is largely psychological and does not materially benefit transmit power to any great length over, say, 1.5:1. I just like to think that I am taking care of the P.A. stage by not excessively shoving reflected power back into it, and have always considered it to be "best practice" where possible.

Mike. G4GWH

• Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    Options

There are several questions in this thread for the 1x3 version.

Q: How/Can the antenna names be made custom instead of just ANT1, ANT2 and ANT3?

A: Currently they can't be renamed in the 1x3 version. That feature is available only for TGXL-SO2R and Antenna Genius integrations.

Q: If you want to use more than one antenna on a band what is the proper way to configure it's use and then switch between antennas? Is the switching automatic by frequency assigned or only manual from the TGXL application?

A: Configure the Band/Antenna slot on the Tuner Genius XL Band Configuration Dialog (see pic John's (K3MA) post above). 1x3 antenna switching is manual, it does not use frequency, other than to select the correct band. Note: there is no way to assign an antenna a frequency in either the SO2R or 1x3 versions. You can exclude a frequency span to bypass the tuner, but not assign a frequency.

Q: I have observed that there is an option to change the Minimal SWR on the band configuration panel above. Does anyone have experience of how low you can go with this adjustment. In other words, could I set a value of say, 1.1, as opposed to 1.25? 

A: The lower limit of this adjustment is 1.10 : 1.

Q: Would this action significantly increase the tuning time taken to achieve? Or is there a bottom limit that can be reasonably expected for efficient use? 

A: Yes, when the TGXL is acquiring a first-time solution for the frequency you are transmitting on. It does not impact the switching time for match solutions already memorized by the TGXL.

Q: I also realise that to attain 1:1 is largely psychological and does not materially benefit transmit power to any great length over, say, 1.5:1. I just like to think that I am taking care of the P.A. stage by not excessively shoving reflected power back into it, and have always considered it to be "best practice" where possible.

A: Keep in mind that the SWR (and match solution) is measured by a directional coupler at the input of the TGXL. The power reflected by the antenna is still there, has to go somewhere, and is dissipated within the antenna-TGXL feed system and the TGXL matching network. This is why the TGXL has a derating table and when triggered, will bypass the tuner and fire a HIGH SWR fault - which should cascade to a fault in an amplifier or exciter connected to the tuner.

Dan, N7HQ

• Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Great answer, Dan. Thank very much for clearing that up!

73 de Mike.

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭
    Options

Dan, yes thank you for answering. I was beginning to lose hope that anyone was going to answer. Now I know the correct answers.

It would be nice if in a future firmware update the ability to change the antenna names was possible.

Thanks, John K3MA

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭
    Options

Dan

One additional add on question.

If more than one antenna is enable per band is the antenna tuning L and C setting saved for each specific antenna on that band?

The manual seems to indicate that is the case with the SO2R version but I wanted to confirm it is also valid for the 1x3 version since some thing are not the same and depend upon use of the Antenna Genius.

John K3MA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.