Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Tuner Genius Low Pwr Warning

Options
After hooking my tuner Genius in line with the Antenna Genius, working FT8 at 40 watts gives me a Low Pwr warning on the tuner genius. I reduce the Rf Pwr down to almost 25 watts before the warning subsides. It then will come back online to tune... Max power output is the 20 watts. Anyone else experience this issue?

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Are you trying to tune at 40 watts? Recommended tuning wattage is 20 watts.

Usinf a Flex 6000 series go into TX band settings and set each band tune value to 20 watts.

Dave wo2x

• Wayne Schonfeld
    Wayne Schonfeld Member ✭✭
    Options

There is a firmware issue with some non-Flex transceivers. I have the ICOM 7610 and got the low power warning up to 100 watts and then high power above that. A firmware fix is being done (I have Beta tested it) and it will resolve this issue. This appears in non Flex transceivers. You didn't state whether you were using a Flex transceiver on FT8.

• Sloan Davis
    Sloan Davis Member ✭✭
    Options
    [{"insert":"Wayne\nThanks for replying. I’m using a Flex 6700. The issue seems to be happening on my 6m Yagi, which is already resonated for 1.2 without tuning. I’m not sure if that’s a factor. I’m not setting the tuner in Bypass when using those frequencies.\n"}]
  • Sloan Davis
    Sloan Davis Member ✭✭
    Options
    [{"insert":"Dave\nim using SmartSDR v3.2.39 and in the TX settings Tune Pwr is set to to 10 watts Max. I think it may be that my 6m Yagi is already resonant on 50.313 which would negate any tuning but I never transmit more than 50 watts anyway on that band -antenna is rated for 300 watts. Not understanding why power needs to be lowered for ft8 at 30-40 watts… Using a Flex 6700\nSloan N3UPS \n"}]
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Try setting TUNE power in TX Band Settings window to 20 watts for all bands 160 through 6. 10 watts is too low.

If your antenna is resonant on 6 meters you can enter the segment of the band where you want to bypass the tuner. For example if it is resonant from 52.000 to 53.000 then in the band configurator window of tuner setup check the box to bypass and enter 52000 for start and 53000 for end. Notice they are entered in kHz and not MHz.

Dave wo2x

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    Options

I see the low power warning too. I have both an ICOM 7610 and 7851. I got a beta version of the FW last week. Now the 7610 tunes just fine, but the 7851 still errors out with low power. Their is a latency issue, while tuning the 7851 power will drop briefly to protect the radio, at a point when the TGXL hits a very high SWR briefly. They are working on another FW version with a bit longer latency which will correct the problem with my IC 7851.

I guess the 7610 must be slower at cutting power than the 7851. I try and tune around 20 watts but of course with high SWR the TGXL sees less power briefly and errors out.

The good news is once tuned the performance of the TGXL is quite impressive, speed, accuracy all superb.

I look forward to the next FW release and hope its soon.

Peter

W2PP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.