Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
SmartSDR v3.2.39 and the SmartSDR v3.2.39 Release Notes | SmartSDR v2.7.6 and the SmartSDR v2.7.6 Release Notes
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes | Power Genius XL Release Notes v3.6.21
Power Genius XL Utility v3.6.21 | Tuner Genius XL Utility v1.1.1
Connecting Tuner Genius to PGXL and Elecraft K3 or K4
I have some questions regarding connecting Tuner Genius to PGXL and an Elecraft K3 or K4:
1. The Tuner Genius manual shows these physical connectivities: (1) Tuner Genius to Flex radio, (2) Tuner Genius to Flex radio and PGXL, and (3) Tuner Genius to non-Flex radios (incl. K3). However, it does not show physical connectivity when Tuner Genius is connected to PGXL AND a non-Flex radio (such as a K3/K4).
- Should the K3/4 ACC port be connected to the PGXL or to the Tuner Genius?
- Should the Tuner Genius and PGXL be connected to Ethernet?
2. Both Tuner Genius and PGXL have rear panel DE15 BAND DATA IN connectors for use with non-Flex radios such as the Elecraft K3 or K4. The Tuner Genius and Power Genius manual both have DE15 pin breakout diagrams for interfacing Tuner Genius and PGXL with Elecraft K3/K4 radios.
The Tuner Genius manual (Section 220.127.116.11) states: ”You can connect either the BCD/PTB Input A or BCD/PTB Input B connector on your tuner to the ACC connector on the Elecraft transceiver using a female‐to‐female DE‐15 cable (DE‐15 male connectors on both ends of the cable), customized as detailed above”.
The PGXL manual (Section 18.104.22.168) states: “You can connect either the BCD/PTB Input A or BCD/PTB Input B connector on your amplifier to the ACC connector on the Elecraft transceiver using a female-to-female DE-15 cable (DE-15 male connectors on both ends of the cable), customized as detailed above”.
However, the Tuner Genius manual has a diagram showing the Tuner Genius DB9 port connected to the Elecraft DB9 RS232 port. The PGXL manual has a diagram showing the PGXL DE15 port connected to the Elecraft DB9 RS232 port. The diagrams conflict with each other and also with the text and pin breakouts in the manuals.
I believe the text and pin breakouts are correct and the connectivity diagrams in the manuals are in error, but thought I’d ask just to make sure.
Leave a Comment
- 17.1K All Categories
- 99 Community Topics
- 2K New Ideas
- 211 The Flea Market
- 5.8K Software
- 5.1K SmartSDR for Windows
- 73 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 153 SmartSDR for Mac
- 166 SmartSDR for iOS
- 166 SmartSDR CAT
- 88 DAX
- 298 SmartSDR API
- 7.5K Radios and Accessories
- 6.1K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 595 Maestro
- 20 FlexControl
- 756 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 275 Genius Products
- 193 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 77 Tuner Genius XL
- 5 Antenna Genius
- 71 Shack Infrastructure
- 36 Networking
- 139 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 67 Contesting
- 208 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 73 Amateur Radio Interests
- 495 Third-Party Software