Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote SmartSDR different version to radio SmartSDR

Options

Several of my friend users of SmartSDR are still on SmartSDR ver. 3.1.12 on their PC/Laptop for remote operation on the Flex 6600.

There are different Flex 6600 radios in our group with different versions of SmartSDR installed. Is it still possible to use SmartLink for remote operation even if the Remote PC/ Radio versions are different?

A typical example would be Remote PC using SmartSDR v 3.1.12 and the radio v 3.2.39. Some operators want the SmartSDR to be mature and free of bugs and wait several months before upgrading.

The workaround so far is to remain on SmartSDR 3.1.12 both remotely and on the radio and use a SoftEther VPN for remotely connecting the radio.

It would be fine to have a generic SmartSDR version for the PC independant of the radio version.

Looking forward to ideas and comments.

Erik SM0JCA

Best Answer

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Also John, in a production environment downtime is money. It is typical to see equipment on one or two older versions than current release. At Motorola that is exactly what we did. The SIT lab would burn in new versions of our software and certify against specific versions of OS, apps, and firmware (switches, routers, servers, etc)..

The releases (usually quarterly or semi-annually) and we’re well vetted before releasing to the end users. The end users (in this case public safety) had a choice to stay at current version or upgrade to get new features. Some would upgrade on a schedule while others would ride their version til it was no longer supported and beyond.

These were closed loop systems without Internet access. So there was no external stuff like auth0 to force an upgrade.

if you don’t like profiles that save changes and you don’ use mulltiFlex or Smart Control revert back to 2.4.10 if it is that important to you. Personally I don’t make changes to power or mic level once set. It’s a personal choice.

Dave

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Hi Erik,

The solution is to have the different versions of SmartSDR on your computer and use the version that matches the remote radio you are trying to access.

You cannot use SmartLink anymore with versions older that 2.7.6 (for 2.x radios) or 3.2.39 (for 3.xradios) due to changes in Auth0 which SmartLink uses for authentication.

If your group are sharing their radios then they should upgrade to one of those versions, depending if radio has version 2or 3 license. The added benefit is latency has been greatly reduced with the new versions.

Dave wo2x

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, I don’t consider any of the versions to be mature, when some basic functionality doesn’t perform properly. I don’t have the info in front of me, but as I remember, after 3.1.12 profiles were saved/changed automatically with no warning or choice. So if one of the remote operators changed something, the next op doesn’t know about the change, and unlike normal presets, there is no way to recall the original configuration.

Using FRstack memories alleviates this somewhat, since they have to be explicitly saved to make changes.

In the first computer installation I worked with (1973) we didn’t apply any updates/versions, since what we had was working as needed.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Actually the settings changed in profiles with any version after 2.4.10. So profile behavior on 3.2.39 is the same as 3.1.12. The radio now works like a Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom in that respect. Change a setting, it stays changed.

The SmartLink latency is much improved with 3.2.39. I ran remote from a Verizon 5G ultra wide site to my radio on a 300/35 cable modem connection. Latency RTT was less than 30 ms. That should be one good reason to upgrade if your group of friends are using each other’s radios via SmartLink.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.