Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Aviation Headsets - any use?

Options
I'm running a FlexRadio 6600M and was wondering aabout using a David-Clark General Aviation headset.

I see the RadioSport and Heil models (and I'm sure they are very capable), but was wondering if anyone has used a David-Clark GA with a FlexRadio. I know the DC's are very comfortable and quiet and the mic can be changed as needed. With the FlexRadio capability to adjust the transmit and receive audio, the DC's should be a good option!

So what do you think?....and - Thanks!

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

If you already have one, give it a try! If not, I don't think I would go to that expense. I have a cheap ($60 USD) Yamaha CM-600, and it works great. It feels comfortable (at least to me...) and has good audio in and out. It is not a noise cancelling type, so I can hear other sounds in the room when I operate. The mic is also not noise cancelling, but for me that is fine.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

If I remember correctly, older aviation headsets used a 'commercial' type of connection and biasing, etc. for connection to the radios -- which meant that publicly available headsets would not work with aviation radios and vice versa. Now, things may have changed, and it's certainly worth a try, but you may need to build in some 'circuitry' to make them work with the flex audio output.

I agree with Len, if you have one already, give it a try, but I wouldn't go out and buy one specifically.

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The headset part works great. I used one for a decade. The problem is aviation radios utilize carbon microphones originally. Like old dial telephones... it requires like 1.5vdc on the elements to bias them. Any more modern ones use other types of mics like possibly electrostatic, but need matching to those old carbon mic circuits....

What I used was a modern ham mic installed into the David Clark mic boom. Theres other ways to go. A Stock DC is not the way to go for the mic. Have fun, already played with them.

Erika DD

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Options

.....your audio is covered by loud noise....

... in have no Problem, it´s my linear and i use a noise cancelling avation headset, i don´t hear my linear....

...what did you say ....

Aviation Headsets are focusing reducing noise. That makes no sense , maybe for CW OP´s , but not for Voice communications. If there is much noise in the shack..it wiil reach your MIC nd the other Station too.

Any Headset that is convenient on your Head, does the Job. You can influence your TX Audio on a Flex to sound from mad to Perfect with any Microphone.

We get perfect results with plain 40$ Gamer Headsets .

Harry

DL9NDW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.