Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Transverter issue with my 6600M

Harold Rosee
Harold Rosee Member ✭✭

I just got a transverter today that is configured for a Flex radio.

It's this one off ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254510549922

I set it up and it works great on all modes but I am having an issue with the power output. I am on the latest SmartSDR software. In the setup form no matter where I set the dBm setting I am getting 5 watts out of the transverter. Even if I have it set to 0 I get the same output. The transverter put out a maximun of 12 watts on 144mhz with the max of 15 MW input. Then when I try to vary the power using the power slider in SmartSDR it's basically on or off. At 0 it's off and then as soon as I go to 1percent the output of the transverter goes to about 4 watts. At 100 percent it goes to the 5 watts.

So I have those 2 problems and can't figure out what I am missing. I have to be very careful because the transverter can only handle 15MW or about 11.76 dBm. Whatever it's putting out now I am lucky it's less than that or I would have destroyed the transverter.

Other than those 2 issues with the power it's working fine.

Any help?

Harold

W5ZZT

Best Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Harold, the way I interpret it, 1 mW will drive it to full power out. I think they intend you to set XVTR Max Power to 0 dBm.

It almost sounds like you have the Max Power set for the wrong XVTR jack on your 6600. Might want to verify you have the transverter in the right XVTR jack and that you have the right Max Power set for that jack.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Good you got it working. As a side note, the power slider is a percentage of the max power defined in the radio setup, not an absolute value.

Answers

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭

More info....

I went back and noticed that the power supply that the transverter was attached to had the voltage turned down some so I fixed that.

Now I was getting 12 watts out on all positive dBm settings. So I decided to try negative settings. That started to fix the issue. I went as low as the setting would let me go which is -10.0. At that setting 36 percent of the slider gets me to 10 watts. If I go to more than that it goes above the rated output so I assume it's over 15mw.

So either my 6600M is putting out way more than 15mw out of the transverter jack or something is wrong with the transverter. I am not sure I have anything that will measure the 28mhz transverter output that low.

Anyone else seen anything like this? I can use it as it is, I'll just have to be careful I stay around 36 percent on the SmartSDR power slider.

Harold

W5ZZT

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭

I may have figured this out but not sure. The specs say "IF input 1mw / 0dBm".

In the instructions it states not to drive it with more than 15mv or you **** it.

I am starting to thank that 1mw will drive it to full power and more than 15mw will **** it. I was reading 15mw to drive it to full power but I think I was reading it wrong.

What do you think?

Harold

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭

Len

I wrote the seller and your are correct. 1mw is the max. At 0 dbm it's at full power and works properly.

Just got confused on the specs.

Thanks,

Harold

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

OK great, I am glad you got it all sorted out! I just ordered a 2 meter transverter so that I can check into my weekly club net when I am on the road. Can't wait to try it out. I have the feeling that with the panadapter, I will suddenly view 2 meter FM operation differently. I would much rather visually scan for signals than the old way...

• Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭

Len,

I haven't done anything on 2 meters in 10 years or more. Now that's all I've done the last few days. It's a different world with the bandscope.

Harold

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.