Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSdr crashing again

Working the VKShires contest this weekend in VK. Half way through day one, while im in kitchen making a cup of tea, I hear a noise coming from shack. Smartsdr had shut down. Buzzing noise coming from speakers. Had to do a long press of 6500 to shut it down. Re booted 6500, and SmartSDR. Transmit profile had been deleted, and all the boxes ticked in TX Band Settings form, had been unticked.

A bit annoying in a contest when you have to start sorting out issues with radio. I thought this issue had been fixed as I hadnt had it for quite a while.

So its day 2 and I turn on radio, my transmit profile I was using, isnt there and the boxes in TX Band setting form are all unticked again.

Using latest SmartSDR v3.2.39 and Flex 6500

Cant be a network issue, as the tx profile and TX Band setting wouldnt have deleted and not an RF issue as I wasnt transmitting at the time. (wasnt even in the room)

What goes?

Wayne

VK4ACN

Best Answer

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

If you followed the procedure from Flex to do a factory reset and created new profiles in 3.2.39 then the 3.2.31 database corruption would not be the cause.

If you still experience rests of the radio, open a Help Desk ticket with Flex. They can help diagnose the cause.

Dave wo2x

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Did the radio ever have version 3.2.31 installed? If so, there was known possible profile corruption.

Dave wo2x

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

The radio would have had 3.2.31 installed at one time, I've always had the latest version installed. Dont know if I ever created any profiles in that version though. So, Ive recreated the TX profile today, using 3.2.39, so this shouldnt happen again?

• halmassey
    halmassey Member ✭✭

Wayne, you needed a factory reset in there to flush the corruption out created by .31. Did you do that? If not you should. If you didn't the profiles you just created may be bad and propagating the corruption.

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Halmassey

I havent done a reset as that means i would need to re-build all my profiles. I dont think I created any profiles in the faulty SmsrtSdr. If it happens again I will have to reset and re-build. That will be a pita. Havent got many tx or mic profiles but a heap of globals

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Wayne, Do an export of your profiles, do the factory reset, then test the radio without your profiles to see if the radio still exhibits the behavior. If not, re-import your profiles and test again. If the problem returns, then you will be reasonably sure that you have a profile issue.

If you still have the issue without your profiles, then I would suggest that you submit a helpdesk ticket as there may be something else going on.

• Wayne VK4ACN
    Wayne VK4ACN Member ✭✭✭

It crashed in the contest last weekend but crash previous was quite some time ago. Not often. Maybe a one off. Ill write some profile settings down. If it does it again ill reset then rebuild profiles from what ive written down. Thanks

• halmassey
    halmassey Member ✭✭

Hi Wayne, I appreciate the investment in profiles you have. But there may be something about the corruption method that I am not effectively communicating. You didn't need to add or change anything to get the corruption. I hope that helps. There is a concept called fault cones. The damage will spread over time. I designed fault tolerant computers for a living. Corruption will not remain static. I hope that helps you make the right decision for you and your radio. Best wishes. The corollary to this is that it is now too late to save these profiles to a computer file and then restore them. I hope that helps.

• halmassey
    halmassey Member ✭✭

This actually gets a pretty good discussion in the release notes post .31....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.