SmartSDR v3.3.29 and the SmartSDR v3.3.29 Release Notes | SmartSDR v2.7.6 and the SmartSDR v2.7.6 Release Notes
SmartSDR v1.12.1 and the SmartSDR v1.12.1 Release Notes
Power Genius XL Utility v3.6.24 and the Power Genius XL Release Notes v3.6.24
Tuner Genius XL Utility v1.1.8 and the Tuner Genius XL Release Notes v1.1.8
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.
Anyone Using SmartSDR for Mac with a Q5 5-band Transverter supplied with band data via USB Cable?
I'm experiencing some very weird settings persistence and band switching issues with SmartSDR for Mac (1.9.02 on MacOS 10.15.7 and 11.3.1), using a Q5 5-band transverter, and a USB Bit Cable sending band data from the Flex 6500 to the Q5.
So far, I've:
Wired up a FTDI C232HM-EDHSL-0 USB cable to the 15-Pin D-Sub connector on the Q5 Transverter.
Set up the USB Cable in the Mac SDR client with the following configuration, and enabled it:
- Type: "BCD"
- Freq. Source: "TX Slice"
- Type: "bcd_vbcd"
- Polarity: "active low"
I've set up all 5 bands in the "Transverter" setup screen, and set appropriate settings for each band.
The transverter is wired to the radio and antenna as required for operation, and I've set the appropriate settings in "TX Band Settings" so that the transverter will be keyed by the RCA TX1 port on the back of the radio when an appropriate band is transmitting through the transverter port (along with other settings).
With this, I have a working transverter that will transmit and receive on the configured bands. Until I don't...
I've noticed that when I change bands (say from 2m to 70cm), the transverter doesn't always switch bands. Upon troubleshooting, I'm finding that the BCD cable settings in "USB Cables" are being changed by something. I've seen the Polarity swapped, the Type reassigned, seemingly at random. Sometimes both having been changed. I also notice that when I try to reset them, sometimes only one change will take effect, and I have to make the change, close out of the setting dialog... only to reopen the cable config dialog again, to make a subsequent change.
A second "failure" mode appears when the cable configuration isn't changed. In such a mode, going in to the "USB Cable" configuration shows correct settings. To restore proper function, I have to flip one setting to a new state (like inverting polarity), and then changing it back... the transverter instantly changes bands.
I'm also experiencing some oddities around the "Transverter" setup window. Specifically, I'm seeing the name of bands swap around between the rows. As an example, the 2m label and the 23cm label swap, and when I select 2m in the band selector, the 23cm band is shown in the panadaptor. I've also noted Max Power and RX Gain settings getting mixed up, during troubleshooting, and when this happens, each setting has to be fixed one at a time, with the dialog being closed out, and then reopened to make a subsequent change.
Has anyone else experienced these oddities, or am I one of the few using this combination of hardware?
I have no idea if this issue is also present on the SmartSDR for Windows client, as I'm unable to use it.
Any tips, tricks, or pointers welcome.
Robert - W6RWC
- 18.3K All Categories
- 125 Community Topics
- 2K New Ideas
- 275 The Flea Market
- 6.1K Software
- 5.3K SmartSDR for Windows
- 90 SmartSDR for Maestro and M models
- 202 SmartSDR for Mac
- 185 SmartSDR for iOS
- 179 SmartSDR CAT
- 108 DAX
- 317 SmartSDR API
- 7.8K Radios and Accessories
- 6.3K FLEX-6000 Signature Series
- 626 Maestro
- 29 FlexControl
- 768 FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
- 396 Genius Products
- 237 Power Genius XL Amplifier
- 141 Tuner Genius XL
- 18 Antenna Genius
- 114 Shack Infrastructure
- 71 Networking
- 200 Remote Operation (SmartLink)
- 87 Contesting
- 290 Peripherals & Station Integration
- 86 Amateur Radio Interests
- 569 Third-Party Software