Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

JS8CALL

Has anyone managed to get JS8CALL to work with their 6400?

I put in the IP of the radio and the same port as I use WSJT-X (192.168.1.253:5002) but the baud rate, etc stays grey and, as you can see, I have no CAT control. Anyone help?

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Cy, I haven't played with this very much, but I did get it to connect using CAT. I had to set the rig to Kenwood TS2000 and select a CAT com port that I had set up for something else. I have not read up on it yet, so I did not get anything to decode. Not sure I am even listening to the right signals...

I (fortunately) set my RF Power to zero so that I would not inadvertently transmit, and that was a good thing. Not sure what I did, but the rig keeps going into transmit... I will actually read the documentation later today and may get this working. If I figure it out, I will let you know what I did.

• Cy Stanway
    Cy Stanway Member ✭✭

Great tip! I got it working.

Here is what to do:

TS2000 with your com port

Whatever your PTT is

and now.....TURN ON THE DAX ON YOUR MICROPHONE

PRESTO!

• KD0RC

Excellent!! I am glad that worked Cy. I have seen other posts about using the FlexRadio 6xxx interface and 127.0.0.1:5002 address to CAT, but I did not get that working. At some point in fooling around with this, the VOX got turned on. Once I turned that off, the random transmitting stopped.

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭

Cy,

I think the issue you had with the TCP port connection is you should use the "localhost" or IP address of the computer, not the radio .. SmartCAT makes the connection to the radio (you need SmartCAT and DAX running for connection to the radio .. I have the radio and the computer that I run SmartSDR on, both with reserve IP addresses by MAC addresses in my local router..

Dudley / WA5QPZ

• KD0RC

OK Cy, I got it figured out...

First I had to add a TCP port. When I clicked the add button, it came up with 60000, so I just left it.

Next, I changed the rig to the FlexRadio 6xxx and changed the network server to 127.0.0.1:60000 to use the port I just created. 127.0.0.1 is the local host that Dudley mentioned, above, and is the universal way to set this up. Dudley is also correct in saying that you can use the IP address of your computer (I tried it just to be sure). I recommend the 127 address in this application. Now you have a true Flex connection instead of a Kenwood comport connection.

• KD0RC

@Dudley WA5QPZ

Hey Dudley, I heard you in there on 20 yesterday and tried to answer, but by the time I figured out how to set up my transmit signal properly, you were gone. I was overdriving the input, and figured out that I needed to cut the DAX TX gain back a bit.

In any event, your SNR was +3 dB. Definitely one of the stronger signals on the air!

@Cy Stanway Thanks for asking the question Cy, I never would have tried this without your inquiry!

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭

Hi Len,

That was my usual antenna at about 30 watts out.. Nice and thanks for the report, I had moved my frequency to 1300 Hz offset, so you were pretty darn close, just playing around, I will have to pay more attention on JS8 , really don't know much about it just making sure I can make it work . 😁

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.