Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Version 3.2.34 Crashes

Hi,

Has anyone else experienced unexplained transceiver crashes since installing V3.2.34?

I installed V3.2.34 on my 6600M and since have experienced four system crashes while transmitting CW. They all occurred during 'key -down'. The on-off button turned red and the radio stopped transmitting. Turning the radio off and back on cleared the problem.

The radio was outputting about 33 watts into a PGXL which showed no ill effects. SWR on the antenna was about 1.2:1. All four events occurred on either 40 or 20 meters.

I backed out of the software and re-installed the previous version and then re-installed V3.2.34. That did not fix the problem.

I believe this problem is unique to the new load as I never experienced any sort of crash before installing it.

Am I missing something or is there a problem with the new load?

Regards,

Jim Charlton AD0AB

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Jim,

A few things. First, open a Help Desk ticket so it can start getting processed.

Next, when it crashes how many red flashes? The pattern of flashes will help determine root cause.

Have you tried without the amp in case you are getting common mode RF back into the radio?

And last, did you upgrade from 3.2.31? When you mentioned you downgraded then went back to 3.2.34 did you downgrade to 3.2.31? (that was the immediate previous version). There is known database corruption in 3.2.31 and the release notes state to NOT use that database with 3.2.34. If you have saved profiles from 3.1.12 (or older) you can try a factory reset by turning the radio off then hold the power button while turning it on until it goes white. Once the radio boots up you can import profiles from 3.1.12 or older.

Dave wo2x

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭

I certainly did have a crash when transmitting (quite low power) about a day after installing 3.2.34. Red flashes on my 6600M. Did not bother counting the flashes (it was 4 or 5). Shut down, powered off, and restarted OK, never crashed again. I did a full factory reset and (older) profile import as part of installing 3.2.34.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Ted,

here is what the flashes indicate.

• One red flash: Fan malfunction

• Two red flashes: Software crash

• Three red flashes: Boot failure

• Four red flashes: Input power over voltage

• Five red flashes: CPU overcurrent

• Six red flashes: Input power under voltage

Dave wo2x

• James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭

Thank you for a quick reply. Unfortunately, I did not count the flashes. But I believe that the red light was constant, but I was working a contest and may not have given it time to flash.

I did up grade from the most previous load. I went back to it after the first two crashes because I thought I **** up the upgrade. I did not realize there was an impending upgrade and hit the wrong button on start up. To my surprise the upgrade began. I let it run to completion and the radio seemed to work fine.

After quite a few hours of operation, the first crash occurred. Restarting the radio restored operation. A few days later it crashed again. I suspected I **** up the installation.

Carefully reading the notes (for the first time) I downgraded to the previous load. I did not run on it except to be sure it was working and then, following the instructions exactly, performed the upgrade procedure to the latest load. Again, the radio seemed to work fine for hours, but eventually crashed.

I don't have any profiles except whatever is part of the software loads and I don't have any backed up files. Both the CAT and DAX apps were running on a PC for logging. They were the most recent version, too. The PC also has the latest SDR for Windows on it, but it was not running.

Would it be of any value for me to back down to some previous load and then upgrade again?

I'll open a trouble ticket and try to capture some more data, but it may be a while as the crashes don't happen very often.

Regards,

Jim Charlton AD0AB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.