Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Too Fast

Options
Cy Stanway
Cy Stanway Member ✭✭

Anyone else notice that, after upgrading the s/w, the keying is slightly off? The dits don't wait until the dahs are finished and throw in a premature dit! Am I crazy or is this real?

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Cy, are you using mode B iambic keying, but expecting mode A? Try changing to mode A and see if that makes a difference.

• Cy Stanway
    Cy Stanway Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Len

I tried. Same issue.

c

• KD0RC
    edited April 2021
    Options

In that case, you might try exporting your profiles and do a factory reset. One of the recent posts has the full procedure. I am currently using my own homebrew keyer, but I will plug my key into the radio and see if I can recreate your issue. If a reset does not work, you should probably submit a help desk ticket.

EDIT: I just tried the keyer in my 6400 and it works great. A and B modes operate properly. A straight key connected to the 15 pin accessory connector also behaves itself.

• KD0RC
    Options

Hey Cy, any progress on the CW keying issue?

• Cy Stanway
    Cy Stanway Member ✭✭
    Options

No. There is a little glitch in the software and so it’s gone back to the developers. I cannot use an external care because the excess report is occupied. And that is how the keyer is supposed to hook into the radio unless I’m missing something

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Cy, Can you edit this sentence? I think spell checker got you...

I cannot use an external care because the excess report is occupied. 

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Cy, I may be misunderstanding your set up...

How are you connected?

1. Paddles to the key jack
    2. Paddles to an external keyer, the output of which connects to the key jack
    3. Paddles to an external keyer, the output of which connects to the accessory jack

You mention software going back to the developers, what software (SmartSDR, N1MM, K1EL WinKeyer, etc)?

• Cy Stanway
    Cy Stanway Member ✭✭
    Options

LOL

I can't use the external keyer because the accessory port is being used by my linear to interface the 6400 with it.

Can I use the output of an external keyer to the key jack on the 6400?

I am connected directly to the key jack in the 6400

Cy

• KD0RC
    Options

You can connect a keyer to the key jack. Just turn Iambic off, that is what I do.

• Cy Stanway
    Cy Stanway Member ✭✭
    Options

That's it? I can try that. Any tips on the wiring?

c

• KD0RC
    edited May 2021
    Options

That's it! I wired my connection per section 7.4 of the Hardware Reference Manual. Use a TRS (i.e. 1/8 inch stereo) plug. Connect ground to the sleeve and "hot" to the tip. Leave the ring unconnected.

• Cy Stanway
    Cy Stanway Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. Doesn't get much easier than that!

c

• KD0RC
    Options

Yep, very easy! I see in my log that we worked each other during Field Day last summer on 40 CW. Small world...

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options

Cy, you aren't going crazy. I just received my new 6600 and noticed something odd about the keying. The timing appears to be off somewhat, such that sometimes a string of dits appear to speed up and characters slightly truncated. Not all the time .. but noticeable when it occurs.

Daniel - W7NGA

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Daniel, what version of the software are you running? The latest, 3.2.34, was supposed to fix the CW timing issues. If you are running 3.2.34 and are having CW timing problems, I would suggest sending in a help desk ticket so that Flex can investigate further. If you are on an earlier version of 3, then you might want to upgrade to the latest to see if it cures the problem.

If you upgrade, read the release instructions very carefully, there are some profile corruption issues that you want to avoid.

I have been playing with my own homebrew keyer lately (part of my TeensyMaestro), so I don't see any CW timing issues. I will have to plug my paddles into my 6400 to see if I can spot any timing problems.

• KD0RC
    Options

Just fooling around with it tonight, the CW timing seems perfect. No truncations, no speedups, no slowdowns.

So far, it acts the same whether actually keying the rig, or just listening to the sidetone. I have not done rigorous testing, but so far so good. I am on version 3.2.34 using a 6400.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options

Running 3.2.34

CW seemed perfect two days ago, and I have left the 6600 running since then. Only today did I notice a timing oddity. Perhaps it is associated with a memory leak. I will try to investigate further and see if I can better pinpoint the problem. I am using SmartSDR for Mac, and will see if I can duplicate the issue with the Windows version.

I have powered down and will see if the issue exists after reset.

Apple Mac mini M1, direct ethernet connection.

Edit: As an electronics engineer I should do a better job at categorizing the problem. I have not, as yet, looked at the RF waveforms to see if the issue exists at the ANT output or perhaps is an anomaly that extends no further than the sidetone.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Options

Rebooted ... running for 2 days and CW operation via QSK and Break-in appears to be working correctly without any issues.

I have to throttle back to 66 wpm so there might be issues at higher speeds. My ear fails me at anything higher than that! 🤪

Just kidding!

Daniel - W7NGA Seaside, Oregon

• Mike McWhinnie/GM0DYU
    Options

I upgraded to 3.2.34 a couple of weeks ago and noticed this issue, it throws you a bit when you hear it but not sure if it actually affected the keying/RF - at least I had no complaints about the keying etc., did a cold reboot and seems to have fixed it, for how long we shall see.

Mike - GM0DYU.

• Mike McWhinnie/GM0DYU
    Options

OK, lasted a couple of days, on CW this morning and the problem is back, odd timing issue with the internal keyer, seems to make shortened dots/dashes intermittently, will reboot again I guess see if it clears up once more, anyone know if this is a known issue which Flex are working on?

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Mike, have you tried a factory reset? If not, export your profiles first, then try the reset followed by a profile import. If that does not fix it, submit a helpdesk ticket so that a Flex engineer can look into it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.